Chapter 11: The Path Of A Tempting Lie

It is so dark in here. I can not even see my hand directly in front of my face; and it is quiet, so very quiet.

My mind uncontrollably returned to the path, to the golden city. I was so close to redemption, and then she appeared. My God, she is so beautiful. I would have given anything just to touch her, to kiss her, to hold her close to me. I guess, arguably, I had given everything. I gave my soul, my life, my quest for eternal rest to her the moment I followed her into this Hell. Do second chances exist? If I beg, if I pray, is there a chance that I could return to the path once more?

I am so confused. I am so tired. I am so sorry.

I attempted to crawl somewhere, anywhere. Broken glass was everywhere, evidence of a man gone mad. I had lost all self control and for what? For her? For that despicable Temptress? What a waste. I had thrown everything away for her and she had deserted me. What’s worse, is she seemed to enjoy it. I had lied to myself and for that I have been punished. I may sit here forever, trapped in a blackness so evil that man cannot even begin to understand its power. Every move I have made was wrong. The Fiend, the Temptress, the darkness has remained one step ahead of me the whole time.

A few prisms of glass offer little comfort in the blackness. The desolate emptiness is drinking every last drop of life that is left in me.

I gave up searching for a way out. This was the end. I was defeated. Everything I had suffered was for naught. I straightened my back, sat proud and stiff on my knees, folded my hands and brought them to my chest. It was my last resort. I was out of options.

Dear God, I am but a weary Wanderer. It’s funny how we believe the things we tell ourselves to, and our hearts simply follow. I pray for absolution. Let me return to the path of a tempting lie. Lead me towards the light.

To the golden city, I was delivered.