More Than Ink

I slammed my back against the wall, gasping for a breath. I inhaled sharply.

Not now. Any time but now.

My neck was on fire. Millions of knives stabbing into me. I took the punch in my hand and poured it down the back of my neck. It sizzled, yet it satisfied.

For once I was able to look around and focus. Everyone studied me like a bug under a microscope.

"Well then," a man's voice said impatiently from the crowd. "let's see it."

The sophisticated people that once stood before me erupted into a mob of fiendish grabbing hands. They tore away at me and examined my neck. People pushed and shoved to get a glimpse of my mark.

"Ah, well," the same man said matter-of-factly. "A crown means riches. Ladies and gentlemen, it looks as though we have a future entrepreneur among us."

There was clapping. I was just in excruciating pain and this man chooses to show his knowledge to everyone because of it? How would he know what it meant anyway, unless he's seen one before? There are only two of each mark: one on a girl and one on a boy. If he's seen another crown...

I gave a weak smile at the crowd and shot a glare at the man. I wonder what his mark was. Probably a pig.

I tried to maintain my confidence as I calmly strolled to the washroom. As soon as everyone was out of sight, I cringed and ran in. A crazed, dazed, and messy girl stared at me with wide, teary eyes in the mirror.

I frantically yanked my sweaty hair away from the back of my neck. There it was.

It still burned a bit. I gently touched it and gritted my teeth as it stung. It was a crown all right. Besides my flaring embarrassment and panic, I was actually pleasantly surprised by my fortune. Most people get a lame mark that symbolizes farming or business, but I sure lucked out.

Claire came rushing in moments later. "You okay?"

"Yeah." I mumbled.

"Let's get you home."

She took my arm and we left out through the ballroom again.

Hushed gossip and judgements spread out amongst the people as we pushed pasts them and burst through the front doors.

The sharp, frosty air hit me and cooled me. I didn't bother bringing my coat, and now I was glad. We got in her car and I plopped myself in the passenger seat.

"So it's a crown?" She asked, trying not to sound too interested.

"Yeah."

"That's good."

"What's yours again?"

"A wheel. I know, lame, right?"

I couldn't help but chuckle.

After a short drive, Claire pulled into my driveway.

"Tell your parents. It'll please them." She said.

"I know."

I closed the car door and walked up to the door. I gave Claire a wave and went inside.

"You're home early," my mom said, looking up from her computer. "how was it?"

I couldn't bring myself to tell her. I wasn't in the mood to talk right now. Not yet.

"Good."

I trudged upstairs and flopped on my bed. I heard my mom come up the stairs.

No, I said to myself, I don't want to talk.

I shut my eyes and pretended to be asleep. I heard her open the door, stand there, and then shut off the lights.

Wow, I thought, I got my mark.

I wonder who has my match.