Chapter 6 - Who'll Be a Witness?

Luca's POV

This girl was too much. When she'd started asking questions about Jimmy Fitzgerald, I couldn't believe I answered anything truthfully. She was a kid for crying out loud, but there was something about Blythe that made her so easy to talk to. Maybe it was her eyes. They were the eyes of someone who had seen more of the world than any kid should. Something haunting hid behind her playful gaze, and I wondered what caused her such pain.

The scent of orange blossoms wafted up my nose, and I smiled softly at the petite child nestled against my shoulder. She was exhausted. That much was obvious. I figured she'd love getting to sleep in one of the plush bed's at Rachel's parents' house. They were the most comfortable mattresses I'd ever seen.

Blythe would be sharing a room with Bekah, and I hoped they got along. Bekah always seemed like a good kid. Even so, I didn't relish facing Rachel while she was on her crusade to keep us together. She'd definitely be clingy and overzealous about the wedding. I grinned as I realized the girl had saved me from a week in hell with Rachel. Just twenty-four hours and I could be on my way to Oklahoma, far from uncomfortable wedding conversations.

My buzzing phone caught my attention, and I shifted carefully to keep from waking Blythe.

"Morelli," I answered curtly, not looking to see who was calling.

"We've got a body."

I stiffened. "When?"

"Last night," Walker answered, all business. "Lou Petriglio, small time con-artist, big time gambler. Married with four kids, and rumor has it, he owed A LOT of money to the Fitzgeralds."

"Passion or business?" I asked, but I already knew the answer.

"Standard Mikey M.O., boss. And we were able to get witnesses saying he and his girlfriend were eating dinner at the restaurant next to the alley only minutes before time of death."

"Girlfriend?" My back straightened as adrenalin began pumping through my body. We'd been trailing most of the guys in the upper echelon of the Fitzgerald empire, and Michael Johnson was definitely at the top of the list. As Jimmy's cousin, and right-hand man, I knew he had to be involved deeply in the criminal workings of the family. He was a well-known player, but oddly, had kept the same girlfriend for the last six months. She must have been deep into the lifestyle if Michael risked a job while she was with him.

"Yeah, we can't find her anywhere, Luca. There were reports of gunfire in her neighborhood shortly after they were spotted in the restaurant. We've got a team checking the building. Something definitely went down there. Her door was busted open and bullet holes are in her walls. Plus, her elderly neighbor is insanely frightened. She refuses to talk to any officers, but keeps muttering something about 'that poor girl'."

"You think she saw the murder?" I asked, thinking the worst. We probably lost another witness, before we ever had the chance to find out what she knows.

"I'd bet money on it. At this point, though, she's probably at the bottom of the Hudson River."

"You don't think she knew what was happening? I mean, Mikey's been with her longer than any of his past girlfriends, and before this, he's never done business with a girl around."

Walker sighed. "I know the facts, Luca, but it doesn't feel like that. What about the bullet fragments and damage at her house?"

I paused, not answering. He was right. Why would the Fitzgeralds attack her apartment if she was supportive of their way of life? The bad part, though, was that when they issued a hit, it rarely ever failed.

"You need to find her, Walker," I growled. "The Captain won't let me come back to deal with this, and I've already got something I have to take care of this week." I ground my teeth together in frustration. "Damn it!"