Destroying The Supplies

Auggie manages to fall asleep pretty quickly, leaving me to my thoughts. I know that both of us can't win these Games and if it's somehow the two of us left, I don't know what I would do. But I push the thought away. The chance of the two of us surviving to the end was very small.

I think back to my idea about the Careers and their supplies. If Auggie and I could just find a way to destroy their food, it'll definitely level out the playing field. They don't know how to hunt like I do, as they've been better fed. And if the supplies are gone, then it'll work to my advantage.

My mind wanders back to Riley once again. She was out there somewhere, most likely alone, injured, fragile. A small piece of me thinks it's for the better that it's this way. Because if District 12 was going to have a winner, it had to be me. I had to win for Prim. But eventually, my heart wins out, knowing that I would never forgive myself if Riley died in the arena and I made it out.

I eventually manage to fall asleep, that is, until the boom of the cannon jolts me awake. The sun is making its way up the sky, the birds already chirping.

Auggie is already up, staring off in space.

"Who do you think that was?" I ask, hoping that it wasn't Riley.

"I don't know. It could've been any other others." Auggie shrugs. "I guess we'll know tonight."

"Who's left again?" I ask.

The two of us manage to list out the boy from District 1, the District 2 tributes, the boy from 3, Thresh, Riley, then me and Auggie. But we couldn't figure out who the last person was.

"I wonder how the last one died." Auggie says in a small voice.

"No telling. But it's good for us." I sound like I was trying to convince myself then more of convincing him. "A death should hold the crowd for a bit. Maybe we'll have time to do something before the Gamemakers decide things have been moving too slowly."

For breakfast, we eat the rest of the groosling as well as some berries. It would've been considered a good breakfast anywhere (except maybe the Capitol), not just in the Games.

"Ready to do it?" I ask.

"Do what?" Auggie says, perking up at the mention of getting some action today.

"Today we take out the Careers' food." I say.

"Really? How?" Auggie asks, his curls bouncing in excitement, the glint of adventure in his eye.

"No idea." I admit. "Come on, we'll figure out a plan while we hunt."

While we hunt, I get every little bit of information I can out of Auggie about the Careers' base. They've set up camp beside the lake with their supplies piled up about thirty yards away. During the day, they leave the boy from 3 to watch over the supplies while they go hunting.

"The boy from District 3? He's working with them?" I ask.

"Yes, he stays at the camp full-time. He got stung, too, when they drew the tracker jackers in by the lake." Auggie says. "I guess they agreed to let him live if he acted as their guard. But he's not very big."

Something about this doesn't add up. "What weapons does he have?" I ask.

"Not much that I could see. A spear. He might be able to hold a few of us off with that, but Thresh could kill him easily." Auggie says.

"And the food's just out in the open?" I ask.

Auggie nods.

"Something's not right about this." I say, frowning.