Chapter 2: Fear

Harry narrowed his eyes at my comment and fury flashed in his pupils.

"So what? Is multitasking too hard for you Italians?" He leaned in closer to me menacingly. I rolled my eyes, but that comment stuck. He was so clever to be making a crack about my Italian heritage (sarcasm). I was about to say something back, or maybe push him or something; start a fight. Instead, my plans were interrupted when someone shouted at us from behind me.

"Hey! You two- get to class!" I recognized the voice of the Vice Principal of my high school. I had gotten to know this man very well over the past two years; he was the school disciplinarian and I visited his office more than I actually went to class.

"Hey! Did you two hear me?!" The voice sounded closer, but neither Harry nor I made a move to turn or even look away from each other. In the corner of my eye I saw Mr. Hendlum come up to us. Once he realized who we were, he became nervous.

"Oh uh. You two, come on guys. Calm down," he put his hands on our shoulders in an attempt to push us a part. The staff was fully aware of the gang rivalry in the school and knew about the students involved. He knew from past experience how fast things can get violent between our gangs.

"Guys, come on. Get to class," he ordered, slightly nervous, "Natalia, do you want this to go on your permanent record?" He asked, trying to threaten me.

"Yup," I responded coolly. He rolled his eyes.

"Well, if this gets violent, then your probation officers will be called," he tried threatening again.

"Fine by me," Harry smiled down on him, he was taller, flashing dimples.

"Just get to class." Mr. Hendlum sighed, exasperated. Harry and I both rolled our eyes, but walked in the direction of our first class. They were in opposite directions, but Harry and I had to cross paths in order to get there. We roughly bumped shoulders as we went. As I turned the corner, I heard Mr. Hendlum sigh a shaky breath of relief. He had avoided a fight. I was not afraid to throw a punch at Harry, but sexism can go both ways. As a general rule in the gangs, Harry usually could not hit back and there was no fun in a one way fight. I sighed as I yanked open the door to my first class.

"Hello, you are late." The teacher, named Mrs. Strodder, said sternly. Once I stepped into the light of the class, and she recognized me, Mrs. Strodder's eyes widened and she gulped nervously. I flashed her a menacing smile. She straightened up in her seat.

"Take a seat in the back, please Ms. Bianco." She motioned towards the back where Carlos was seated. He nodded at me as I sat down. Carlos was a part of my little gang. He was more like the leader of the gang than I was, because of my gender. Despite this, I was still able to call the shots, he just put me down most of the time. Apparently it is disrespectful to overrule someone's authority, but I don't think Carlos minded too much. None of the other students turned around to look at me, and as I had passed them to sit down, they all looked at their desks. I smiled to myself. Fear was an important part of this game called life that we play. In order for me to win, to be on top, I need to be feared by the ones below me.

The only people who don't seem to be afraid of me are those above me in my community and those ranked high in the Marvel crime family; i.e Harry Styles and his family. Although my elders in the mob were not fearful of me, I knew they respected me. I am very young, and yet I am set on a path for success. I could take down a man three times bigger than me in a fist fight, I can operate a gun, I am very skilled with knives, I have street smarts, I am a great leader and I show no mercy.