0.1 - The City

Taika

I heard a shot being fired and I dropped to the ground, turning right side up, only to see the guy hovering over me.

"You should've stayed in your office pretty lady," he rasped out and raised his gun up to my head.

I closed my eyes and pow. I waited for the pain and imminent death. Maybe even a flash of white light, but all I got was a thump and a "You alright Temptest?"

I opened one eye and saw my partner Danny Marlow standing above me with an outstretched hand. He was nice looking, almost like an angel with the sunset light haloing around him. He had a toned muscled body, brown hair tossed all about, a bit of an after shave, and bright blue eyes. Oh and not to mention a killer jaw line.

I smiled. "I'm fine Marlow." I took his hand and he lifted me up onto my feet. "That makes this the... Twelveth time I saved your ass?" He questioned as I looked at our victim who was now being pulled up by a gurney and a body bag placed over him. Detective Marlow was a good shot.

I looked back at Danny and rolled my eyes. "Probably, but I've saved your ass fourteen times. You'll never be able to catch up."

We walked back to our car after radioing in that we'd caught the infamous drug dealer Carlo Kent.

"We shouldn't have killed him..." I said after we were in the car after a few minutes.

"He was going to kill you Temp," Danny stated simply.

"Yes, but we could've gotten information out of him. Seen whose selling to him, get the head hancho. You could've done it." I said and looked at him.

Danny rolled his eyes. "I'm not losing my best partner over some nasty scumbag! We'll find out whose doing this, trust me, but I'm not gonna have you dead over it." He spoke calmly, but his hands gripped the steering wheel. He didn't believe in the words he was saying, no more than I did.

"Danny you could've-" I started but Danny interrupted.

"No Taika!" he shouted out my real name, which he hardly ever uses. He says Temptest or Temp, because that's my last name. Mind you, we're supposed to use our Surnames during work anyway. "You're always willing to risk your life over some scumbag who doesn't deserve it! Just so we can get information. The information doesn't matter if you're not on our team! We won't be able to solve it without you either way. Even if some scumbag could tell us who it was, arresting them wouldn't be the same without you there by our sides doing it. Sometimes I just-" he sighs and lowers his voice a notch. "Taika Temptest," he glances at me and then back at the road. "Justice doesn't always come first, believe it or not."

"And I do?" I ask.

"Yes Temp! You're such a crucial part of this team and sometimes I don't think you get that, what would your father think?"

I looked at him in a swift motion and raised my voice. "My father would tell me how honorable I was for getting a really bad guy off the streets of our city!"

Danny rolls his eyes. "Here you go again with that greater good crap."

"It's not crap Danny! It's how I was raised! It's the bane of my families existence. It's the family tradition. Just like my great granddad and his father before him! Truth, honor, justice. That's what we're about." I yelled.

"Ah yes! The Temptest's! How could anyone forget?" he snarled. Your sister Camellia Temptest is a prosecutor for the DAs office. Your brother Falkor Temptest is a rookie cop. Your father is Chief Commissioner Harold Temptest of the New York Police Department and you are Taika Temptest! Notorious Detective. The brightest in her field at the twelfth precinct. Always putting justice before others and how they feel!"