Chapter Five

Hutch paused once more before the conference room door. He glanced back at me questioningly. I gave him a sharp nod and together we strode into the room. My gaze immediately locked onto the two figures huddled around the table at the other end of the room. At our entrance they both stood, cutting off their whispered conversation.

I recognized Jehiel immediately. His caramel skin, honey eyes, and bright white smile having graced the cover of many a magazine. Tucked behind him, I spotted the edges of his gray wings. Something inside me wailed in mourning and jealousy. I moved my focus away, looking to the unknown man in the room.

Jet black hair curling over piercing green eyes, eyes that scanned me, looking for signs of a threat. Like Jehiel he was handsome enough to have women swooning in the streets, however; there was an edge of darkness about him that warned you away from getting too close. Everything about this man screamed danger, from his muscular physique to the deceivingly innocent white feathers curled around his back. I held his gaze, searching him for weaknesses of his own, ignoring the fluttering in my stomach.

Standing in front of the both of them I was flooded with an intense blast of magic. The power the two exuded subconsciously was mind-numbing and I had to grit my teeth against the crushing feeling. Gradually the feeling began to fade but a spark remained in the air, a welcome reminder that these two men were no ordinary clients, but members of the Seraphim royal court.

"You must be Agent Hunter," Jehiel said, breaking the silence. Reluctantly turning my attention back to him I gave him a small nod of respect.

"Your Highness."

Waving a hand through the air Jehiel brushed aside my words. "Please, please call me Jehiel. I've never been a stickler for formality."

He had an easy grin, one that made you feel instantly comfortable around him. I felt myself relaxing against my will, warming towards the man.

"This is the Levi, captain of the Seraphim guard." He said, gesturing to the green eyed man next to him.

I looked at Levi once more startled to find him once more staring at me with intense focus. Refusing to be intimidated I frowned at him, my scowl deepening as his lips twitched in amusement.

"Well gentlemen," Hutch interrupted, shooting me a strange look, "so far I've briefed Agent Hunter on the basics of the case. I felt it would be best to leave the details to you."

Jehiel's smile faltered at his words, a serious grimace replacing it. Retaking his seat he gestured for us to be seated. I noticed the way Levi didn't hesitate to claim the seat next to Jehiel, a position of power and trust. Clearly, the two had a relationship beyond king and subject. Childhood friends, perhaps.

"As you know this morning Sandy was found abandoned on the embassy steps this morning by a jogger," Jehiel began, sadness creasing his features, "what the public is unaware of is that this is not the first murder."

So they'd been covering up a series of murders from the press. Which of course begged the question why?

"Over the past two months, four more of my subjects have been taken, killed and then had their bodies delivered to properties under Seraphim control." Anger bled into his tone, darkening his countenance. Levi shot him a concerned look. Taking a deep breath Jehiel calmed himself before continuing.

"So far we wanted to deal with this by ourselves. However, the discovery of the latest body and the publicity it is receiving has forced our hand and we have no other choice but to ask the Bureau for help." He said, the bluntness of his words at odds with the geniality of his tone.