an introduction // before

COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER 

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

This book may not be duplicated, exhibited, distributed or otherwise copied without the express written permission of the author's consent. Individual, single-copy versions of the text may be printed for noncommercial personal use. Copyright 2016 Lyssa Schei (@siderealesque). All rights reserved.

*******

As per the norm, I like to start off with some introduction that really makes this sound more grandiose than it actually is or ever will be. If you don't care about my soppy ramblings, continue on. This is more for me than it is for a reader, anyways -- I need an explanation, I need a method behind the madness as I always have. After all, this is only a Wattpad story, it's a story written by a girl hanging on the edge of seventeen who had written off writing as a career her sophomore year of high school but returned to it out of desperation. But here we go, this is Two of Us. 

I came up with Two of Us after a rather particular fight with one of my so-called friends at the time. It was the summer so your bare thighs stuck to the seats of your car, it was so sticky and humid outside, but it didn't matter because the school had air conditioning. We'd still been having drill team practices throughout the summer and in a school hallway I realized with a simple touch that the story between me and this girl was over. It had reached its conclusion long ago, I was simply letting it continue out of hope that we could resolve things differently. The craving of closure was what led me to go home and begin formulating a rather odd idea -- what if I were to go back to when we had first met and things were easier? We'd laugh so hard we forgot what's funny. I started to pen what I remembered of those late summer days when it was all worthwhile, but like summer, things quickly grow cold. If one were to see the timeline of how things played out one would realize that nothing in high school is promised and nothing in high school is forever. To be a teenager is to be temporary, to be a teenager is to lose yourself eventually and give way into adulthood and who you were truly meant to be. 

This novel was written based off of the experiences of not only myself, but my three best friends -- Maria, who is strong-willed and fiery but has a much more delicate side that she'd never show most people. She is a German Shepherd at heart with her belief in her sense of self and her assurance in who she is, even though she knows the future is not guaranteed. She is a visionary, she is religion, she is understanding in and of itself she is Maria and that is all one has to say. Hannah, who I still every day affectionately introduce as my best friend as if our friendship was new, who is a romantic at heart in its oldest sense and truly, truly empathetic to everything around her. She feels it all, she knows it all, she's seasoned in so many different things. Hannah really is the definition of an old soul. And lastly, but definitely, not the least is Teagan who revels in the comedy bad fanfictions provide me as much as I do, with a laugh like God and a purpose behind everything she does. She is a girl of calculated reactions and good intentions sewed together underneath a surface with a curved back. How these three girls -- the three people to shape my life the most, the three that combined probably know me better than I know myself -- came to somehow find themselves written in these words I'm not sure. None of them are exactly Laramie, or Aria, or even their minor friends or Samuel. But I know that without these three the characters would've been different people entirely. 

I can't exactly figure out how to make this sound any less crazy than I already am. But go ahead, immerse yourself in a world where nothing actually matters, because it doesn't.