Chapter 1

Lynn was tired.
     She wasn't just sleepy-tired, she was everything-tired.  She was tired of the same old town, the same old people, the same old school.  Everything.
     She had just graduated high school and she had absolutely no clue what to do next.  She didn't know who she was or where she wanted to end up in life.  All she wanted was to start over.
     So she packed up her bags and moved to the opposite side of the country.
     She was leaving everything--her family, friends, her old life, everything she'd ever known--behind to start over new in an unfamiliar town.
     Was she nervous?
     Of course she was.  She had sweat bullets the entire drive there.  That's right: she drove all the way from Boston, Massachusetts to Los Angeles, California.
     It was a hell of a drive, and it took her almost a week, but it was so worth it.  She could almost feel the sweet California sunshine on her face as soon as she pulled out of her driveway.
     As soon as she crossed over the California border, she already felt so much better.  She felt happy and free as a bird.  She had independence: something she had never before experienced.
     When she got to Los Angeles she found her new home: a large, fancy-looking apartment complex.  The buildings were light blue and white on one side of the complex and sand-colored and white on the other side.  Morning glories were vining up trellises on the sides of the buildings and tall hay-like grass was growing in front of them.
     She walked into her building with a few boxes and found her apartment on the third floor: apartment 3C.
     She fished around in her pocket for her keys and opened the door.
     As she caught sight of her new home, her jaw dropped.  She had seen pictures of the place online, but they didn't do the apartment justice.
     The floor in the living room and bedroom was a short, soft, off-white carpet, but there was wood flooring in the kitchen and tile in the bathroom.  The walls were all a very light (almost white) pastel blue color.
     The apartment came fully-furnished and there was a couch and two chairs in the living room; a bed, dresser, and nightstand table in the bedroom; and a dark wooden dining table in the kitchen.
     There was even a sliding glass door leading from the kitchen to a small balcony!
     Her new apartment was beautiful.
     I'm going to love it here, she thought.