Chapter 4

~~Chapter 4~~

"Here's your diet coke, ma'am." I said, placing the soda on the table.

"Thank you." she said kindly.

"I'll be right back with your burger." I said, walking away and towards the kitchen.

"Hey," I said to Alex as I passed him.

He smiled and gave me a quick hug. "Are you off soon?" He asked. I smiled back.

"As soon as this table leaves." I replied.

"Good. I'm walking you home." He told me.

"Wait, why? Aren't you already off?"

He shrugged.

"Well yeah, but I'm not letting you walk back to school all by yourself. It's 10:45."

I giggled. "Oh Alex, you care way too much." I told him. He shook his head.

"I don't think so, sweetie." He said. I giggled again and walked further into the kitchen.

"I'll be right back. I have to go give this woman her burger." I told him.

I grabbed the plate from the counter and walked out to the dining room. A bell rang, and I looked to the door to see Austin and his friends walking in.

My eyes widened, and I hurried over to the woman's table. I set down her burger, then walked to the kitchen.

"Alex! Austin's here!" I told him urgently. Alex put down the plate of pie he was eating and rushed out of the kitchen. A second later, he came back in with an angry expression.

"I'll help you out." He promised. "For right now, just sit them down so they don't get mad." I nodded, then slowly made my way to the podium.

"Hey, Ella!" Austin yelled. "Good to see ya!" I gave them all a forced smile.

"How many?" I asked.

"Four." He replied.

"Alright follow me."

I led them to a booth in the corner, table 23. "Can I get anything for you to drink?" I asked.

Austin smirked at his friends.

"Coke."

"For all of you?"

He nodded.

"Alright, be right back."

As I left the table, I heard snickering behind me, so I knew they were plotting something.

When I arrived in the kitchen, Alex was waiting by the soda machine.

"How'd it go?" He asked. I shrugged.

"They were laughing as I left." I told him. He sighed as I filled four glasses of Coke.

"Here, let me come with you." I nodded as he picked up two glasses and followed me out of the kitchen.

As I was walking down the aisle, I felt someone stick their leg out in front of me. I dropped the glasses and fell over, landing on the glass shards beneath me. I let out a scream as I felt the edges cut into my hands and bare arms.

"Ella!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12/16/13