Dead End

I screamed. Algebra two was just so frustrating, I didn't understand how anyone could do it. I threw my books onto the floor and slammed my door behind me as I left my room. My fists were clenched together tightly, making my knuckles a ghost white. You could hear me stomping down the carpeted stairs throughout the whole house. I took deep breathes as I entered the kitchen and took a water out of the fridge. When I took a peek through the blinds, it hadn't started raining quit yet, but the sky was a dark grey. Everything was gloomy. The trees were shriveled up and dormant. Black, dead leaves were scattered over the grey, dead grass that were the landscape of everyone in towns' lawns.

I thought to myself, since it wasn't raining yet, that maybe I'd go for a walk. To cool off, get some fresh air, a break of the hell that was called Algebra two. I threw on my sweatshirt and was out the door. My phone buzzed and I pulled it out of my pockets. I flinched for a second before fully grasping my smart phone. It was freezing cold, like a chip of ice from the arctic. I bumbled with it in my hands trying not to let my hands go numb from the how cold it was.

The text had been from my best friend Natalie. She had asked if I wanted to hang out with her.

Me : Sure, what do you wanna do?

Natalie : I don't know. What do you wanna do?

Me : Maybe we could run by the cafe' and just get a warm cup of coffee.

Natalie : Sounds like fun. Meet me at my house Marissa.

Me : Okay see you then.

I typed in the last few letters and put the cold phone back in my back pocket. Suddenly a huge gust of wind came blowing at me and it sent shivers down my spine. Even after it had passed, the coldness lingered in my body. My teeth chattered as I made my way down Natalie's street.

--------------------------------------------------

Natalie and I dispersed from the crowded, but exceptionally warm cafe', and into the frosty air. Both of our arms came shooting up around us instantly, in this town it was a natural reflex. We were just about to start our thirty-minute struggle home when Natalie started to turn off into the wrong direction.

"Natalie!" I called to her. "What are you doing?"

"Taking a short cut," Natalie replied.

"What short cut?" I asked, dumbfounded.

She began to approach me, "I think I know a way home that won't take as long."

"You think?"

"I've never actually used this way before," Natalie confessed, "but I believe that it will get us home quicker.

I looked down the narrow road and didn't see any options other than walking in the cold when it looks like it was gonna rain, alone, or walking in the cold when it looks like it was gonna rain with my best friend.

"Show the way," I exclaimed.

--------------------------------------------------

We were lost. Natalie had been wrong, wherever she thought she was going didn't lead to either one of our houses, it didn't lead to any to exact. We walked down a dark and dingy road, it was even more gloomy than the rest of the neighborhood. The trees were blacker and even more dead. The sky, you couldn't even see the sky because the trees black branches were blocking it from sight. The road was paved but the pavement was cracked over every single square inch. I had never been down this road before and neither had Natalie, we had no clue how to find our way home.