Chapter Thirty Eight

Snape took Harry out of the room, noticing with relief that the corridor was deserted. He did not want anyone to see what was happening to Potter.

"Professor?" It was Malfoy. Snape sighed. He should have known his luck would not last. He glared at Malfoy. "Yes, Malfoy?"

"What happened to Potter?"

"An unfortunate side effect of a potion he brewed wrongly. The fumes that he ingested has caused this reaction. I'm taking him to the hospital wing now."

Malfoy kept following him. "Is there anything you require, Mr. Malfoy?"

Draco shook his head. And then he turned around and went in the direction of the Slytherin common room. Snape sighed in relief as Malfoy left. He took Potter through the longest route, thereby avoiding all students altogether. He was worried, but also irritated. Potter just had to choose this time to have a breakdown. But the trace of Dark Magic that he'd sensed in his initial scan worried him. He knew Madam Pomfrey would not be able to help Potter. But expert in Dark Magic and curses as he was, he too did not know what it was that caused this reaction. If he didn't know any better, he would have thought Potter was a receptacle for a soul fragment that was now being put together. But that was impossible. He needed Dumbledore. The Headmaster might know what was actually wrong with Potter.

As soon as they reached the hospital wing, Madam Pomfrey came running.

"What happened to him?" She asked as she levitated Harry on to a bed and put up a screen to hide his thrashing form from view. Snape lifted the silencing charm he'd cast earlier and Harry's scream tore through the quiet of the hospital wing.

"Merlin!" McGonagall who rushed in stopped short. "What's wrong with him?" She sounded faint.

"I have no idea." Snape said. "I think we need the Head Master."

McGonagall drew a sharp breath. "We need to find a way to stop him from screaming. And we need to distract that woman. Does anybody know you've brought Potter here?"

"Draco Malfoy saw me," said Snape.

"Then Umbridge will be here soon," muttered McGonagall.

"I think not," said Snape as with a wordless incantation, he soundproofed the hospital wing.

"He seems to be in agony!" Said Madam Pomfrey, examining the boy. "We need to get him to St. Mungo's. This is beyond me."

"Give him the strongest pain-killing potion you have," said Snape. "We'll decide on St. Mungo's later."

"Severus, we can't take him to St. Mungo's." Said McGonagall in a fierce whisper.

"I know," said Snape.

"And how am I supposed to make him drink the potion?" Asked a disgruntled Madam Pomfrey.

Snape tapped his wand against Harry's head and Harry's face went slack. He  stopped screaming. Madam Pomfrey tipped the potion on to his mouth, massaging his throat to ease it down. Harry started stirring soon after, but though he still was in obvious pain, he was no longer screaming. His teeth were tightly clenched as he gripped the sides of the bed in an attempt not to thrash about.

Snape steered McGonagall to a corner of the room. "We need the Head Master," he repeated.

"That's easier said than done," she muttered. "How certain are you that Malfoy won't tip off Umbridge?"

"Draco has very specific and strict orders from the Dark Lord that he's to do everything in his power to divert Umbridge's attention from Potter." Replied Snape.

"Why would You-know-who do something like that?"

"I'm not privy to his reasons. But Draco has got his instructions directly from the Dark Lord and he shall do nothing contrary to that."

"We still need to distract her."

"Perhaps you should use-ah-the talents of the Weasley twins for that," suggested Snape delicately.

"Use my students?" McGonagall looked outraged.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures," said Snape silkily.

McGonagall shook her head adamantly. "I shall not drag my students into this."
She turned to look at Harry. "We shall have to find some other way."

"We're running out of time- and options," he muttered. "He's your golden boy. Personally, I don't give a damn how much pain he's in." As long as it doesn't threaten his life, he added silently. Which was why he needed Dumbledore. If whatever Potter was going through was not life-threatening, he could go back to his quarters.

"He seems to have lost consciousness," said Madam Pomfrey. The other two went to the bed. Harry was unconscious. But his breathing was even and he was not thrashing around.

Snape skimmed his wand over Harry. "I think it is past," said he, frowning. There was no longer any trace of the Dark Magic he'd sensed earlier. He really had no explanation for what happened except for the impossible one.

"How do you know?" Asked McGonagall sharply.

"There was," Snape frowned. "A dark energy around his scar... But it is gone now. I think whatever happened to him, is over. He'll probably be fine after a proper night's sleep."

"I'll give him some dreamless sleep potion," said Madam Pomfrey, sounding relieved.

"And I shall inform Mr. Weasley and Miss Granger before they start getting worried," said McGonagall.

Snape nodded. He too needed to get back to his quarters. Black might be waiting for some news.

But Snape still wondered what had really happened to Potter.