Nile Dok and Determination

RECAP/REFRESHER BECAUSE IT'S BEEN A WHILE...SORRY
"Thank you for sharing." I whispered into his chest. "I know it's not something you usually do but it means a lot that you could open up to me the way you did." Levi never returned the hug. I wasn't surprised nor did it hurt. He could have pushed me away but he didn't and that's more than I could have asked for. "There are foundational elements in our lives - people that form the brick and mortar of who we are. People that are so deeply embedded that we take their existence for granted, until suddenly they're not there. And we collapse into rubble." Levi slowly pushed me away, keeping me at arm's length. His emotionless eyes had never changed. Not even sadness or remorse.

"And that's the reason why I haven't been looking for my mate. Why I don't want one."

***

Not want a mate? The idea both saddened me and confused me as I sat here inside my finished apartment, my back against the front door. Then again, this is Levi we're talking about. He doesn't exactly come off as the romantic type. Still, that never stopped anyone before. They are our mates. They were made just for us. If the time ever were to come for Levi to discover his mate...would he be able to have the heart and mind to reject them?

My chest ached, eyes clenched, at the thought. Levi may not have the warmest, kindest heart but he couldn't possibly go through with that right? It's unheard of. He'd inadvertently be crushing everything; his life, mind, heart, future, and ultimately his mate. How would that be fair to him? To her?

*ring**ring*

My phone that was placed on the coffee table lit up as it played a generic bubbly tone. The little song did nothing for me but make me roll my eyes.

"Hello?" I answered into the phone without checking who it was.

"Hey! Are you doing anything right now?" Petra asked from the other end but in all honesty I really didn't feel like seeing anyone the rest of the night.

"Not...reeeeeally?" I dragged out, unsure of how I wanted to answer her. I mean, I didn't want to lie!

"Great!!" Petra cheered.

"What did she say?" I heard what sounded like Hange in the background.

"What exactly do you all have planned?" I questioned, now slightly terrified.

"Oh you know, just a typical girl's night out. Nothing too special."

"And that would entail what?"

***

I was sipping out of my cup of soda absentmindedly as we – Petra, Hange, Mikasa, Krista, Ymir and Sasha – made our way out of the mall as it was nearing closing time.

"Are you alright Dani?" Petra asked with concern.

"Hmm?"

"Yeah the whole night you've had your head in the clouds. Is something wrong?" Hange agreed.

"Are you not adjusting well to your apartment?" Krista joined in.

"Did your food spoil already???" Sasha asked, tears brimming her eyes.

"Did someone hurt you? Tell me who and I'll pound their face in." Mikasa glared, though not directing it towards me.

"Guys calm down. It's nothing really. You don't have to worry about anything. I'm all good." Hange leaned close into my face. Too close for comfort. Her eyes, unblinking and staring into my soul. Slowly, a creepy grin stretched across her face.

"You're having guy troubles." She jumped back. "It's shorty isn't it?!"

"Levi?" Petra questioned before smiling wide. "Did you make a move? Did he make a move? You have to give us details!" I walked through the automatic glass doors, exiting the mall and cursing Hange for her psychology skills. Everyone was quick to be at my heels.