Come on, Kid

(In a local internet cafe. Melody Lovegood and Ao Yamamoto sit in a booth by the window, coffee on the table along with Melody's bag.)

Ao: Did you bring it?

Melody: Why?

Ao: Don't you ever listen to me?

Melody: Of course I do. (She opens her bag and pulls out a camera, setting it on the table) (Sigh) I can't believe Mrs. Jones gave us that much work! I already have so much to do.

Ao: (Looking out the window, spots a young blonde boy peeking in) It isn't that bad. Look on the bright side, at least you have me as a partner. (smirks)

Melody: (Rolls her eyes) Oh yes! The magnificent Yama-chan! What would I do without you? (Exasperated, Over-Dramatic)

Ao: I know I'm great and all, but chill. (Looks at the end of the table) Erm, Mel??? (panicking)

Melody: (scrolling on IG) What?

Ao: Wasn't your camera there? (Points to empty space)

Melody: What are you talking 'bout? (Looks up from phone) YAMA I CAN'T! WHERE IS IT!!

(Melody starts breathing heavy while Ao frantically looks around)

Ao: It's fine. It's fine, we'll find it!!

(She notices the young blonde boy walking towards the exit with camera in hand)

Ao: There it is!! (she starts progressing towards the boy) Hey! Give that back!!

(The boy looks back and notices her frantic yelling and angry stare and speeds up. Ao grabs Melody's arm and goes after him)

Melody: (yelling) Hey! Come back! That's mine you little brat!

(The boy turns and waves at them before weaving through the crowd)

(Melody yanks her hand from Ao's grasp and sinks to the ground, muttering what can only be swear words)

Ao: (Pats Melody on the back and runs off) I'VE GOT THIS!

(Ao starts weaving through the crowd following the blonde until finally he turns into an alleyway. Ao hides behind the wall, peeking her head around the corner)

Benji: (he walks over to a small broken mattress with two cats lying on it) Hey guys! I was able to snatch a camera. Maybe if I sell it I'll be able to get us enough food to last a few weeks.

(The cats get up from the bed, meowing at him and rubbing against his legs ○^ω^○)

Ao: (Steps away from the wall) Hey kid... If you give me back the camera I'll buy you and your cats some food.

(Benji contemplates the offer for a moment)

Benji: How do I know you're not lying?

(Melody steps out into the the alley, panting and in tears)

Melody: There you are you brat. (She collapses against the wall from relief.) Ao, grab the camera already.

Ao: I won't have to. (Melody gives her a 'wtf' look.) He'll give it to me for food, (She looks to him) Won't you?

Benji: (He looks down to the ground and mutters) Yes.

Ao: What was that kid?

Benji: (speaks up) I'll give it back.

(Ao gives him a smile)

Ao: Let's go then. (grabs Melody and helps her up) Come on, let's get some food.

(The group walk to a diner not too far from there and get seated. While eating their lunch Melody and Ao start to ask Benji questions)

Ao: What's your name?

Benji: (through a mouthful of fries) Benjamin Lordie..

Melody: Where are your parents?

(Benji looked up at her, staring straight into her eyes with a hard look)

Benji: I don't have any.

Ao: So you're an orphan? Why aren't you in an orphanage or something? You could have a roof over your head.

Benji: (scoffs) Oh yes, a roof over my head in exchange for freedom and unbruised skin.

(Melody flinched slightly at the words, Ao doesn't seem to notice)

Ao: Fair enough, Kid.

(He glares at her)

Melody: ...Maybe... you.... (Seemingly conflicted)

Benji: Maybe I could what?

(Melody looks at Ao)

Melody: He could stay with us... couldn't he? We could hide him in our dorm..

(Ao looks at her with thoughtful eyes, until she reaches a decision)

Ao: I don't see why we couldn't... (Looks to Benji) You'll be good won't you?

(Benji seems to be in shock. He looks between the two of them frantically wondering if it was his imagination)

Benji: I... What... How... Really?

Melody: Yeah, you can't stay out there all by yourself in the cold..

Ao: There is one small problem though....

Benji: What do you mean? (suspicious)

Ao: Your cats. We can't keep them inside the dorms. But-

Benji: I'm not leaving my cats!

(Ao puts her hands up)

Ao: I'm not saying that. All I'm saying is that they can't go inside the dorm but we can keep them outside and well fed.

Melody: They'll be safe don't worry, they can wander around campus and no one will really bother them.

Ao: If any of the frat guys tried, the girls would give them hell and nobody wants that hehe.

Melody: ESPECIALLY if the sorority girls found out, oh boy... (Melody laughed nervously)

(Ao winces)

Ao: College girls are scary when they get mad. You're lucky you stole from us. We have some chill. (Mutters) For the most part...

(Melody checked the time on her phone)

Melody: Oh snap okay, we gotta go! Lunch is almost over and we're god knows how far from campus so let's pay, get the cats, drop him off at our dorm and go, yeah?

Ao: The best idea you've had today. (Throws money on the table) Let's go Kid.

Benji: My name isn't kid.

(Ao grabs his arm and starts yanking him out of the diner with Melody)

Ao: It is to me

Melody: Oi, chill! Don't yank him like that, let's go!

Ao: Oh, he'll live. But we might not if we come in late. Walk faster kid!

(They walk to their dorms with a new lad slowly trailing behind them. Little did they know is that the kid would make their lives much more interesting.)