Chapter 1

July 10, 2182 (Krygilis Modified Date)

"I respectfully decline."

The older man behind the desk looked up from the tiny screen in front of him, his calm expression darkening slightly. "I'm sorry?"

"I decline the assignment, Director," said the short, tan-haired woman as she crossed her arms.

The temperature in the small, cluttered room seemed to increase by another ten degrees as the man scowled and closed his eyes. "Wynette," he said, "let's talk about this privately. I don't—"

"Why would I feel comfortable traveling alone with a strange man? I don't see this as fitting protocol," Wynette said, taking a deep breath. "I shouldn't need to remind you that section 12(b) dictates that assignments involving only two individuals can be appealed if one or both individuals have an objection

to—"

"We will talk about this privately!" the Director snapped. "And Mr. Dawson, if you would step outside..."

The tall man standing behind Wynette cleared his throat. "Certainly, sir, but..."

The Director raised an eyebrow. "Yes?"

"If it helps, Ms. Wynette, I'm gay," the man said, smiling as he pushed a strand of dark, curly hair out of his face.

There was a long silence. Wynette took a deep breath. "Like, totally gay?"

"Wynette!" The Director's voice had reached a volume level she had never heard before.

"I mean..." The man shrugged and reached a tan, slender hand into the pocket of his pants. "I have my Gay Alliance membership card right here."

"There's no need to be so accommodating of Wynette," the Director said. "I hope you forgive her rudeness."

"Hey, I gotta watch out for myself," Wynette muttered, wiping sweat from her brow. "But whatever, I didn't expect you to literally carry a gay identification card. Nice to meet you — what was it? Laris?"

"Yes. Likewise, Ms. Wynette."

"Drop the 'Miss', please." She turned back to face the director fully. "Fine, I'll take the assignment."

"You'd better," the Director muttered as he straightened up. "Your formal documents are on the printer over there."

She snatched the papers from the top of the aged printer. "Still aren't allowed to just send them to our compads, huh?"

"No."

She turned to Laris. "Welcome to the Protectorate. Always the finest facilities and technology," she said, waving her hand at the single fan attempting to cool off the concrete room.

"Maybe if hell freezes over and you get promoted someday, you can try to do better," the Director said. "Now get to work."

Out in the hallway, Wynette stuffed the authorization papers into her heavy pack. "Alright, do you already know where everything is?" she asked Laris.

He nodded and hoisted his pack over his shoulder. "Yeah. Already got a tour."

"Great." She began walking down the narrow hall and motioned for him to follow. "And sorry if I came across as a jerk back there. Didn't mean to, you know, end up asking you to out yourself..."

Laris smirked. "Are you always that blunt with people? Not a great way to deescalate conflicts, you know," he said.

"I mean, not always with strangers, but I've known that guy for four years now. I can kinda say what I want to him."