01 | Fortuity

Majority of Friday evenings were 'normal' for you. Thank God it's Friday, they'd all say. You were in no position to disagree, and even as an erudite student whisking through your final year of highschool, education was no cakewalk. It was finally the loved, desired day of the week that you finally had free time to do whatever you wished, without the cuffs of due dates, exams, and school in general restraining you. That was what procrastination was for, after all.

Majority of Friday evenings were ordinary, yes, but not this one.

The small digital numbers blinking on the bottom right corner of your desktop screen read 8:30pm when the fortuity transpired. The starry night sky was concealed by your window blinds, though even then, you could tell that it was dark outside, having to turn on your lamps and lights. Your room was an unkempt mess from the stress you've acquired from school lately, disarrays of textbooks tossed and shuffled around on the floor, returned test papers flat on your cluttered bed, and backpack angrily shoved into the empty void-- otherwise known as under your bed, where the mythical monsters hid.

You were perfectly pleased with spending your time browsing memes on 10Gag, scrolling down the page for new content to mirthfully laugh at, even fooling around with your spinning office chair by rolling around in circles like a child. Your focus soon darted back to the illuminated screen, only the sounds of your mouse clicking and your favorite song blasting into your ears via headphones being heard.

The cursor hovered over a peculiar advertisement by chance. Curiously, you read the eye-catching banner, adorned with a background of pinkish red cherries, and golden envelopes. In large, capital lettering, it read,

'Cheritz Chat: Find your perfect match today! Certified experts on relationships available'.

You laughed it off as utterly meaningless, and especially shady. Online dating was not a pastime you were too interested in, for several reasons. You weren't desperate for a partner, the platforms were usually scams, and the very fact that the Internet population included nefarious deceivers meant that you were skeptical of interactions occurring solely online.

AdBlock was successfully installed on your browser, however, you had the decency to whitelist 10Gag, to show your support as it was among your favorite social media sites. Initially, that was your first regret.

Your finger accidentally slipped, resulting in the audible click from your wireless mouse.

"Oh, fu--"

An instant notification beeped through your headphones, disrupting the flow of music. Miraculously, you were immediately hooked with a stranger, who sent you a message shortly after. Though you had no intention to stay, his sudden spam urged you to play along for a while before you were able to close the tab.

Welcome to Cheritz Chat! Please remember to keep it clean. Terms and Conditions apply.

Yoosung★ has entered the chat room.

[Username] has entered the chat room.

Yoosung★: Oh!

Yoosung★: Hello! ^^ Finally, a person!

Yoosung★: My name is Yoosung, as you can tell by my screen name! I hope we can be friends! What do you like?

[Username]: Friends? Isn't this like a dating website? Not that I'm complaining 'cuz tbh, I'm not looking for a significant other, lol...

[Username]: Accidentally clicked the ad ;;

Yoosung★: R-Really?!

Yoosung★: omg... lololol

Yoosung★: it's true I need a girlfriend, but...

Yoosung★: Seven-- uh, my friend, said that this was a good way to make friends! even better than the LOLOL chat!

Yoosung★: He told me to join this but idk why... T_T but it was for Honey Buddha Chips, so it must be worth it!

[Username]: LOLOL? ohh... I play too! Been taking a hiatus for a while because of school, though ^^;;

[Username]: LOLOL's community can be toxic tho... so I can see why >_<

[Username]: But still, using something like Cheritz Chat might be a bit much.... ;;

Yoosung★: But even so, I'm glad I found a fellow LOLOL companion!

Yoosung★: add me in game! Superman Yoosung!

Yoosung★: We can be best gaming buddies!! lololol

[Username]: we just met, though...

Yoosung★: Right! But you seem really nice ^^ and I want to get to know u better!

[Username]: I'll think about it...

Yoosung★: Yay! ^^

Yoosung★: If u wanna know more about me... I'm starting my first year of SKY University, in Korea.

Yoosung★: I wanna get you to open up, so here's a pic of me before you go! You don't have to share anything if you aren't comfortable, though... don't wanna force you into it!

[attachment]

Yoosung★: god, I feel like Zen rn, sorry T_T... he's my narcissistic friend! lol

[Username]: Okay... thanks. See ya! ^^;;

Yoosung★: OMG WAIT

Yoosung★: we didn't clean the chat!

[Username]: ...?

Yoosung★: Cleaning the chat! It says at the top to keep the chat clean... but how do we cleanse it???

Yoosung★: so confused T_T

[Username]: They don't mean it literally.... we don't have to do anything ^^;

Yoosung★: Oh! Okay! Don't really get it, but my bad! lolol

Yoosung★: Bye, [Username]! It was fun texting you!

[Username]: Take care.

Yoosung★: Gotta savor Seven's Honey Buddha Chips now... Best reward ever!! lolol

[Username] has left the chat room.

Yoosung★ has left the chat room.

Promptly, you shut the tab, only to glance over at the time. It blinked 9:17pm, meaning that you had spent over half an hour chatting with the effervescent stranger, Yoosung-- this realization was quite astonishing to you. You were unsure of whether to believe that there was genuinely such an innocent puppy over the Internet, or whether it was a mere setup. At least he only seemed to desire friendship, and nothing more.

Yoosung, with a black star. The username sounded almost familiar; perhaps you had vaguely remembered 'Superman Yoosung' somewhere on the LOLOL leaderboard once.

You recalled the attachment he sent you. A supposed selfie of him wearing a hoodie, noticeably adorned with a LOLOL button. Fluffy blonde hair, and soft, welcoming violet eyes that spelled out a friendly and oblivious demeanor.

Removing your headphones, you suddenly decided to rest early that night. You turned off your PC, bounced off your spinning chair, and swept all the chaff off your bed sheet. The brightly lit lights throughout the room faded to a pitch black.

It was an odd occurrence, but he never would have contacted you again. As you curled up into your blanket, you were drifting off to slumber, into the bliss weekend that followed. Nonetheless, in the midst of your tranquility, you genuinely considered returning to the game, and adding him on LOLOL.