Lowering the Boom

"So," Hollis said, staring at the red thread on Kacey's wall, "if we are saying that Declan is still around-and I'm not buying off on that by the way, I'm just talking-but if we are saying that... well, you know what, even if we aren't saying that, maybe what we need to do is go back to focusing on 'why'."

"Okay, sure," Kacey said.

"Not just 'why were these townspeople targeted', but 'why you?'" Hollis pointed a finger in Kacey's direction. "Revenge? Or is it because you were about to stumble onto something our killer doesn't want found out?"

"I don't 'stumble', Longmire. I'm on point. Twenty-four seven."

Hollis shook his head as Kacey sat at the edge of her bed, staring at the timeline. "There's a connection between these victims. Gotta be. Whatever it is, we're missing it. The victims and the killers... young, old, male, female, single, married, different ethnicities, backgrounds, jobs... they're just typical people. From our point of view the next killer and victim could be anyone in town... but what about from Declan's point of view?"

There was a moment of silence as both remained deep in thought. Then Hollis spoke: "You said the next killer or victim could be anyone in town."

"Yeah," Kacey replied.

"What if that's the connection?"

"What?"

"The town."

Kacey's features twisted in confusion. She waited for Hollis to elaborate.

"Rhonda White told us that Declan had become interested in the coal mines... right around the time the murders began. What if there's something to that, something to do with the town's history?"

Kacey retrieved her cell phone. "Okay so we'll look up Pleasant Hills history..."

Hollis was shaking his head. "No. What we need isn't gonna be on your phone. Or on the web. What we need is human intelligence. This might be painful for you, but it'll involve physically interacting with a real person. And I've got just the guy. He's a living piece of history, and... his uncle worked for the mining company."

Ten minutes later they were on the road, Hollis driving them out to catch a ferry from Anacortes to Friday Harbor. He had called in to the station, informing them that he was tracking a possible lead.

A vehicle just in front of them, a late model red Corolla, was going well under the speed limit. This of course didn't affect Hollis because he drove like he was in a parade, but something about that car had Hollis's attention.

Kacey said "So this guy's uncle was a miner during-"

"An accountant for the mining company," Hollis corrected.

"Accountant?" Kacey repeated, clearly skeptical.

"You'd be surprised what accountants know." Hollis sounded distracted, his eyes narrowed at the Corolla's driver, whose head was down, looking at his own lap. It was a teen wearing a backwards baseball cap. Hollis continued, "Eustis's uncle worked for the company throughout the thirties so-"

"Did you say 'Eustis'? Does he drive a horse and carriage?"

"He doesn't drive anything; he's ninety-six years old," Hollis replied.

"Holy Hell."

"He hasn't been off the island since I made detective."

"Perfect." Kacey started perusing Facebook.

"This guy has more knowledge and insight in his pinkie than you could ever hope to have."

Kacey exhaled a large gust of air, looking up. "Great. Let' just get around this twat," she said. "Maybe we can talk to your pinkie genius and still get you home in time for Murder She Wrote."

Without a word Hollis pushed the button to activate the light bar just above the Tahoe's rear view mirror. He toggled the siren on and off. The driver's head snapped up. He looked in his rear view and pulled over.

Swinging the Tahoe to the shoulder behind the car, Hollis exited, walked to the driver's side and leaned down into the window. Kacey could barely hear Hollis' loud voice, could see the teen leaning away, nodding his head emphatically.

When Hollis returned and climbed back into his seat, he was red-faced and breathing heavily.

"You okay?" Kacey asked.

The older man took a few deep breaths as he accelerated the SUV back onto the road.

"Fine," he answered.

Though he was now retired at the ripe old age of seventy-two, Gordon Tupper was still givin' the world Hell.

He was just finishing his workout. Today was arms and he was standing at the triceps machine about to knock out his last set. Gordon liked Acre View because it was an expansive facility that was also available to the public. Which meant young ladies went here. Back in his glory days, when Gordon was lowering the boom on defense attorneys, he bedded his fair share of enticing women. Mostly assistants. Now he was content just to ogle them. Once a man reached his twilight years he had to take his pleasures where he could.

Gordon set the weight at fifty pounds, grasped the bar and began his repetitions. Once he was done it would be off to a quick shower and then onto the green for a golf game with the boys. Had to take advantage of the weather while it was good. Last week had been a close game but this time Gordon was ready to lower the boom on those old fools. They wouldn't know what hit 'em!

Just then he felt a tap on his shoulder. He set the weights down and turned to see... what was her name? Cindy? Sandy? She was attractive, but a little butch. Working out every single day had made her a little too beefy for Gordon's taste. "Oh hi, uh..."

"Sally."

Sally! That was it. "Of course. Are you waiting for this?" He motioned to the triceps station.

Sally shook her head. "Waiting? No. I am chosen."

Those pretty eyes went blank as she reached up, cupped the side of Gordon's head and smashed it into the metal support. The world spun. Gordon was vaguely aware of Sally grasping the bar one-handed, pulling it down and maneuvering his head with the other, into the space created by the raised weight stack.

She was grasping his neck, holding it in place. Gordon tried to fight back but his body was too slow to respond. He was in the midst of blurting out a strained "help" when Sally let go of the bar and the weights came crashing down.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The boom has been lowered. Next week, Kacey and Hollis talk to old man Eustis and learn secrets that will shed new light on the Chosen Killings. See you all in one week!