Day 2: John Proctor

The next day when Betty came out of her house to attend the second town meeting, the whole town was talking, Betty could sense the tension in the air. 

Then a man, the sheriff Betty presumed stood up on the gallows and announced,

"Mary Warren was found dead last night! She was stabbed by a serial killer! We found a will! It reads," The sheriff cleared his throat. "'John Proctor was visiting me last night and I suspect that he was the one that stabbed me!' We also found a note from the killer! It reads, 'Do not trust your eyes, we have a witch among us.'" and with that the sheriff stood down from the gallows and the town erupted in shouts. 

Without thinking Betty exclaimed, 

"MYYYYYYYYYYYY STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARSSSSSSSSSSS."

"We must kill John!" "You saw what the note said!" "He's guilty!"  "Hang him!"

"Now, now people, we don't actually have proof that he killed her!" A random town member shouted.

Suddenly a female voice spoke up, 

"I have proof!" It was the strange woman from the day before. In the daylight Betty could see her clearer, she wore an expensive looking dress and the jewellery she was wearing could have been diamonds. 

"What is it? State your name!" The sheriff said.

"My name is Betty Richbucket!" Betty was shocked she had the same name as she does! It was almost as if she had stolen her name!

"My proof is that last night I went to visit John, to return a book that I had borrowed, but he wasn't home, but the light was on at Mary Warrens house, I went and looked through the window to see if John was there and saw him stab her!" Betty Richbucket broke off in sobs when she finished talking.

"Proof!" Someone shouted.

"Cast a vote!" Another exclaimed.

The town started voting, every vote was to John Proctor. Town members grabbed John and shoved him onto the gallows platform.

"This is absurd!" John shouted. "Betty is a witch! I was controlled!"

"Why should we believe you?" A town member asked.

The sheriff shouted "Guilty!" and Betty turned away as the platform came out from under John.

It was later confirmed that he was indeed a serial killer and it was carved onto his tombstone.

The town dispersed and started going back into there houses as the gong sounded.

Betty Poorbucket looked at Betty Richbucket across the court and an uneasy feeling set in her stomach.

Betty could tell, Mary and John weren't going to be the only people killed in this town.