Ch. 4: The Forest

The Forest

  "Dugan..." I say nervously. "You know when I joked about you taking me to the woods to murder me?"

"Yup," he responds, completely ignoring my scared tone.

"I was clear that I didn't want that to happen right?..."

"Yeah, I think you were."

"Then what are we doing here?" I squeak.

Dugan chuckles and rolls his eyes at me. "Jeez, Eth. I thought I had gained a little more trust than this by now." He places a hand on my shoulder, his thumb moving in slow circles. "Relax, I'm gonna show you something really cool. And, no, it is not an axe to murder you with." He cracks a big grin. He obviously finds my fear amusing.

I glare at him. "That's not funny."

He shrugs. "It is a little funny."

I continue to glare.

  "It's not."

Dugan leans in closer, making my eyes widen. He stops a few inches away from me. My eyes flick to his lips for a second, wondering what it would be like if he leaned in the rest of the way. Dugan breaks my staring with a chuckle. "You're cute when you're angry," he whispers, winking at me, before swiftly exiting the car.

  I blanch, open-mouthed, at the closed driver's side door.

  Get a grip, Ethan! Why do you keep letting him do these things to you?!

  I get out of the car slowly, still a little wide eyed, and my jaw definitely still ajar, and find Dugan waiting for me by the hood of the car. I glare at his amused face. Jerk.

I meet him at the front of the car and notice the blanket he has rolled up under his one arm.

"What's the blanket for?" I ask, losing my anger and replacing it with curiosity.

Dugan begins walking away, and I follow behind him with a pout.

"To roll your dead body in, obviously."

"Dugan!" I scold, catching up to him and slapping him on the arm. "I already told you: murder jokes are so not funny!"

Dugan slings his arm around me with a chuckle. "Relax, I'm just messing with you. Trust me, I definitely don't want you to die anytime soon."

I pout up at him, my arms crossed over my chest. "I'm still mad at you."

"I know, but you'll get over it."

I scoff. "Don't be so sure."

Dugan's lips brush against my ear as he comes closer. "You like me too much to stay mad at me for long," he whispers to me.

My face flushes and I really hope it's not as red as I think it is. He really has to stop with all that whispering, or I might have to kill him... with kisses.

I flush more at my thoughts. What in the world has gotten into me?

  "Hey, you okay?" Dugan asks with a squeeze to my shoulder.

  "I'm fine," I scoff, still feigning anger.

  "Okay," Dugan chuckles.