Capter 3: Keep Me Warm

Max! Eyeless Jack thought as screaming came from the room he had locked her in. He got up and ran to the door. He opened it to see her...trying to kill herself. "No!" he said sternly grabbing her hands. "Let me go!" she yelled trying to get out of his grip. He stayed silent and just held her hands until she was a sobbing mess in front of him. She yanked her hands free from his and curled up in a ball. "Kill me...please just kill me...you already destroyed me with your first 'test'." Max looked at him with tears in her eyes.

             The tears were tinted red. He knelt down and wiped away one of the tears with his finger. She watched horrified as he leaned over to her and moved his mask just enough to lick her cheek where a tear was gliding down her face. Taste like strawberries... he observed. He fixed his mask and leaned away from her. Max looked at him like he was crazy.

"Why did you lick my cheek?" she asked.

          "Your red tinted tears taste like strawberries"

"What?"

"Your red tinted tears taste like strawberries" Eyeless Jack repeated.

"Oh....um okay" Max looked away as he grabbed her arm and pulled her to her feet. "Off to the lab" he said with a grin which she could not see. "NO!" she screamed but he tossed her over his shoulder and carried her there. Jack ignored the pounding on his back. "Stop! Please it hurts!" she screamed. "Oh pish posh! It doesn't hurt that bad...I think" Eyeless mumbled.

              "Then we should switch places because it hurts like a bitch! It hurts way worse than the damn infected wound which you fixed, thank you for that!" Max shouted in a low whisper as if someone were eavesdropping. "As much as that sounds like fun- I'll pass. I don't want to be a female" he chuckled. Max face-palmed as he tied down one of her arms as she sat in a chair. "I was being sarcastic" she murmured. He mouthed an 'oh' but continued preparing her left arm for the shot. "Is this going to hurt? I hate needles!" she cringed.

Eyeless rolled his eyes. "It will be over before you know it" he assured. Though the answer did not satisfy Max's worry.

"I don't trust you"

         "I never wanted you to"

"Good. Because you'll never get it"

         "Fine" he took the syringe and placed the sharp tip to her sensitive skin. "Ow!" Max winced. "I haven't even put it in yet!" he said irritably. "I'm sooorrry!" she groaned and closed her eyes. Leaning far from him as he pressed it in. She bit her bottom lip until it bled as he injected something into her veins.

Eyeless Jack stepped back after taking out the syringe and placed it in a trash can. He watched her closely. Nothing happened. He had a clipboard and was writing down her reaction to the liquid which now coursed through her veins. Max finally gave a sharp scream.

              "WHAT DID YOU DO TO ME!?" she screamed and yelped with pain. "Shh." he said calmly in a concise manner. He observed as she didn't change...how come she wasn't a pasta? He gave her the fusion serum. Was it not working?

Though he got his answer.

            Max went still in the chair. Blood oozed from her mouth. "Killed her. Guess Lady Dea-" he stopped when he heard whispering which was in tuned with the movement of her lips. "Cold" she kept repeating. "Changing" he nodded. But she wasn't changing. Her body was rejecting the fusion serum which was destroying her from the inside.

"C-cold, co-ld, cold, so col-ld"

"I'm sure" Eyeless squinted his eyes?

≧◔◡◔≦Lol! Eyeless Jack doesn't have eyes! From what I remembered from something I read about him he scooped his eyeballs out. Never new that, did you?≧◔◡◔≦

Max focused her eyes on him. "Ja-jacket?" she asked. My body is so numb...and so cold.. Max thought groggily as her mind started to shut down. Max's eyesight started to blur as Jack got up to walk towards her. "Max?" he asked but his voice was barely audible. Her ears quite and decided hearing was no longer an option.

            "Cold...black...dark...fire" she whispered before going into hibernation. She was asleep but it could be for years. It all depended on how fast her body could get rid of the serum. Eyeless Jack nudged her. "She's dead?" he furrowed his brows and put a hand to her chest above her heart. It beat in a slow melodic rhythm. "Asleep?" he touched her forehead but brought his hand back quickly. "She's as cold as the Antarctic!" he left and came back with a blanket. He wrapped her in it.

                        She began to mumble things in her hibernation. Her brain still worked and was replaying the scene of the fire. How it burned her house yet it didn't feel warm like a normal fire. No- the fire she had experienced was cold and freezing. It was dreadful and horrible. Max remembered the week before that her kidney had been taken. She remembered every gruesome detail in the most terrible ways possible.

Eyeless had moved her to the room he'd keep her in. But he brought test tools with him. He thought of this as a moment to run tests without her screaming. The first test was another infusion. But again her body rejected it. It made no sense. No one ever resisted the serum.

           He hooked her up to a machine that kept track of her vitals and heart rate. He turned the heat up in the room for her sake. Jack grabbed a new syringe and drew blood from her. He shook the blood a little and sat it on a medical device. He waited for a day and a half for the results of her blood test.

His eyes widened. "This can't be possible..." He mumbled looking at the results. He opened the door to Max's room. "She's dead?" he looked at the results again. But he knew what was on the paper wasn't some accident...was it? Did the machine make a mistake? He looked at the machine that told him her vitals and heart rate. Somehow her heart was beating. But the results say she's dead? Maybe that would make sense seeing as she has no kidney's accept a medical device. Is that what is keeping Max alive?

                  Jack wondered for a long minute but walked over and decided to check her vitals the traditional way. Eyeless Jack settled his ear against her chest and waited for a heart beat. Nothing. Not a thump. So why was the machine showing otherwise? Under his mask his eyebrows furrowed in curiosity. A fine specimen indeed. He grabbed her wrist and put two fingers on it. The blood was pumping......he didn't understand. He checked her heart again and this time it was beating. That's when he noticed her soft ramblings. The sounds weren't audible and didn't sound anything like English. Max let out a high pitched scream and then went limp. Jack covered his ears. The machine went haywire. He grabbed Max and unhooked her from the machine. She shook violently. He had to pin her down just to keep her from falling off the bed.

When Max had stopped shaking he sat down on the edge and stared at her. "A fine specimen.....a fine specimen indeed"