Twenty

A/N: Here's a chapter to cool you down from last chapter's dark tone. And believe me, even I've gotten depressed writing it. *shudder* I hope it was all worth it. Thanks for reading everyone. I appreciate it. Much love, Mel.

____________________

I hadn't realized I missed having a job until I stood in Blue Bay café as a waitress. Not all of my time in New York had been a waste. Four years in the service industry, I picked up a few tricks in memorizing a menu and dealing with people. The first thirty minutes in the job Sandra had me sit in the sidelines, familiarizing the menu. And then for another hour, she got me serving a few customers who were there for breakfast. She'd been beside me, nearly breathing by my neck through it.

After observing and seeing my capabilities first hand, she ultimately allowed me to work and breath by myself. When morning rush hour was over, she briefed me on my allotted breaks throughout the shift. But all employees needed to be present during morning and noon rush hour. Being the first day, introduction was ensued. I hadn't wrapped my head around the names of the kitchen crew but I was acquainted with my fellow waitress. We were only three in total, excluding Sandra who helped from time to time.

Manning the door on weekday in the morning shift was Vicky. She was the veteran in the job from the other waitress. She'd been working for Sandra for nearly ten year after working as a waitress in Las Vegas. I wasn't sure if that was a joke or not from how they were all secretly smiling. And the other one was Lynn; she was a fresh high school graduate. She put off college for another year and decided to work instead.

After they've all established who I am by what the people in town thought of me, I decided to keep the perception rather than telling them who I was. It was better to be the daughter of once divorced kindergarten teacher and stepdaughter of a sheriff than what I had in mind. The girl had who run away, the drunkard's daughter, the abuser's lover, the slut, the whore, and the disgrace.

Once the second waved of customer came through the door for lunch, I was able to fall into a rhythm. I handed them their menus, got their order, served the meal, all of which I had done with a smile on my face. I had been good at pretending. And understanding the reason why, my heart clinched at the truth behind it.

Half way through the lunch hour, I've got the visit I knew was happening that day. Of course he'd be there. He was the first person I told when I've gotten the job. As Vicky sat them down in my area, I stopped midstride when I saw he wasn't by himself and wearing his uniform. How could he be working after his shift last night?

I took a moment to gather my wits before entertaining my new set of customers. Reaching their table, I already had a smile in place and the menu in my hand.

"Good afternoon, how are you today officers?" I greeted and peered over his two other companions, Devin and John. I'm glad Royce wasn't with them. These two I can handle.

Rather than answering, I watched in surprise as David slid out of the booth and grabbed my arm. He then tugged me towards the couch and gestured for me to sit. When I hadn't responded, he sighed and verbally ordered me. "Sit down, Claire."

A bit startled and annoyed, I stood my ground and glared at him.

"If you don't want people to get a good look on your arm..." he threatened softly.

I went rigid and glanced at his two colleagues, who were studying us in confusion. When I looked back at him, I huffed one last time in a sign of defiance before following his command.

Once I was seated, he sat back down beside me. It took me a second to realize he still had his hand on my arm until he tugged the edge of my long sleeved cardigan up, slowing the scars.