Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I honestly didn't want to stick around for this.

I had things to do. Like get back to my house, to an imp that was probably trying to make my place look like a clone of Disney Land, only maybe a glitter fairy vomited everywhere. Yeah, nothing says I'm a total bad ass ancient Atlantean god like glitter and Mickey Mouse.

And yet, I couldn't bring myself to leave. I should have. I had no right to be here. I never stuck around with clients after I made the bargains. It wasn't my place to do so, not to mention, despite my rugged exterior, I easily got attached to people. As much as I hated to admit it, I'd gotten painfully attached to the Sons of Hades and their dilemmas. Which probably explained why I was standing near Theo's mansion, cloaking my presence, while Steele prepped Aria on how they planned to reinintroduce mother and son.

A mother who tortured her son all through his childhood and turned him into the self-loathing little brat he was. For all the horrible things Theo had done in the past, like hunt Adrian or have people killed for looking at him the wrong way, he was still a person. A child that needed attention.

Even worse, he'd gotten happier since he and Sept got together. It would bring his whole world crashing back down if his mother were to appear now of all times.

Still, I held my tongue. This was none of my business and I couldn't really do much about it. I never involved myself with clients.

Or at least, I tried not to.

I remained silent, watching Steele and Aria converse. Aria looked more than ready to storm in there and take back what she thought belonged to her. It never belonged to her in the first place. Hades always told his mistresses that all the riches he's giving them now, were meant for their children and not them. They were welcome to stay with their child, but they had as much power as a regular civilian. It was a little cold, but I could honestly see why Hades put that rule into motion, especially with psychos like Aria.

Steele hung back as Aria opened the doors and made her way into the building. I stuck close behind her, watching her zip down her black leather jacket, as if anyone wanted to see her breasts. She walked with a predator's stride, though. And even from here, I knew she had concealed weapons. Her spiked heels clicked a dangerous beat on the black marble floor as she walked down the hallway and into the throne room.

Theo was sitting at his throne, wavy blood red hair like his mother's, cut to his shoulders. Red eyes scanning a file folder that was making him frown. He only wore his black leather pants and his velvet red and black cloak. He sensed the disturbance and looked up. He droppd the file folder on the floor and his face went as white as a sheet as Aria slowed down to stand just a few feet from the throne, her hands on her hips as she gave him a smug smile.

"Aw, look at you, sweetheart. Lounging like a satisfied little kitten." She mused. Theo looked around frantically, like he was trying to find someone to help him before he scrambled off the throne and stepped away from it like it was on fire. Aria watched him with menacing red eyes, the way a spider watched a fly.

"What's wrong, baby? Did mommy scare you?" She asked, feigning innocence. She took a step toward him and Theo took two back. He looked speechless, his mouth opening and closing for a moment before he swallowed hard. His muscles had gone rigid and he still looked horrified to see her, those red eyes as round as saucers, but he managed to keep a relatively good poker face.

"W-What are you doing here?" He managed at last. Aria's eyes flared.

"What the fuck did I tell you about stuttering, boy?" She sneered. Theo actually flinched at that and took another step back until he had bumped into the wall. He didn't speak again, which only seemed to fuel Aria to continue teasing him. She was acting the same way now as she did then when they had shared this elaborate palace.