Part 2

Astrid's focus had sharpened with the years, dedicating herself to ensuring nothing would stop her taking up her place at College for a Physical Education Degree. She had honed in on relevant subjects, dropping irrelevances like Dragon Studies, Viking Mythology, Physics...and so she saw less and less of Hiccup even in classes since those subjects were very much on his radar. Of course, he had remained the class loser, a shy pariah despite his status as Mayor's son, bullied by Snotlout, Dogsbreath, Gustav and Tuffnut. Astrid saw him in the few classes they shared, frequently partnered with him in projects and class tasks because their names were next to one another in the register and she had to admit, he was easy company. He remained self-conscious, stammering and blushing when he spoke to her but hard-working, still very smart and inventive.

The one indulgent class she had hung onto was 'traditional weaponry', a very Viking subject where the students trained in a variety of old weapon. Astrid had chosen the axe, a unique choice where the others all went for swords or spears. While not as massive as students such as Dogsbreath, Snotlout or Fishlegs, she was strong and athletic, using her agility and skill to wield the axe with accuracy and skill...but practice had one undesirable effect: it dulled her axe edge, forcing her to get the weapon regularly sharpened. And she had been astonished to find Hiccup working at the School Shop and Forge when she turned up to get her axe serviced. 

"You!" she choked in shock. He spun to see her and his forest green eyes glittered as he walked towards her. 

"Milady," he said smoothly and grinned his lopsided smile. "How may I serve?" 

She looked at him. For years he had remained disappointingly small and undergrown, a skinny fishbone of a boy with dark auburn hair, pale skin with faded freckles and sparkling forest green eyes but over the last year, he had finally hit his growth spurt and shot up to outstrip the rest of the year. He had remained skinny and awkward but his hair had thickened and grown wilder, his puppy fat had gone and his jaw had sharpened. His skin was still pale but the few remaining freckles had almost faded and his kind face was still filled with a hopeful expression. She found herself stammering as she gazed into the sparkling green eyes.

"Um...my-my sharpening needs axe..." she gabbled and the face-palmed. Gods! Could she have looked more embarrassing? He quirked a definite eyebrow and gave a small smile.

"Are you sure?" he teased her gently, his voice amused. She reached over and punched him in the shoulder.

"Don't get cocky with me, Dragon Boy!" she scolded him and he lurched back a step, clutching his numb shoulder.

"Oww!" he protested. "Why-why is it always violence with you?"

"I am a Viking through and through!" she smirked, quoting the School Motto. He sighed.

"And I am the least Viking ever to come to Berk High," he sighed. "Seriously-and without beating me up, Milady-do you want me to sharpen your axe?" Instinctively, she held it protectively against her chest and frowned.

"Do you actually know what you're doing?" she demanded. He managed to look hurt, his glorious green eyes looking wounded.

"I've worked with Gobber since I was ten," he admitted. "He's taught me to build and repair engines, devices and weapons. I will take good care of your axe!" Blue eyes flicked up and then she reluctantly handed her beautiful axe to his dexterous hands. He pretended to almost drop it, gulped as she growled and more carefully took the axe to the grinder. 

"So...why are you here?" she asked. "I thought you were all about dragons?" He carefully positioned the axe and carefully honed the edge , trying not to get sparks and metal fragments on his hands. He adjusted the blade.