Part Two: Midnight

Two: Midnight

Astrid spun around in shock, reaching for her axe and finding her hand empty. The scream-Hiccup's scream-echoed through the wooden kitchen she found herself standing in. She spun-and found herself in the gown of a married woman, her hair no longer braided as a maid but knotted up like a respectable wife. She turned and winced, glancing down to see her belly swollen and round with child.

She stumbled backwards against the table, her face falling in horror. What was this? Some nightmare? Please let this be a nightmare!

The door slammed open and admitted her husband-Snotlout. She recoiled in shock as he advanced rapidly, grasping her and pulling her hard against his body, his tongue pushed in her mouth as he kissed her and hands indecently and possessively roaming her curves. His hand lingered on her belly, a proud smile twisting his face as a small foot kicked away at him. She winced.

"Hey, my Princess-is my meal ready?" he asked, reluctantly moving away from her and sprawling in a padded seat by the fire. "The little guy's nearly ready, huh? Only a couple of weeks, if Gothi is right. Though we took long enough getting him in there." He gave a grin. "Though I wasn't complaining, Princess. Those six months were some of the best of my life."

Astrid felt sick. What he was implying...what had clearly happened...was beyond her worst nightmares. She shook her head and balled her fists in anger. "Where's Hiccup?" she asked urgently. Snotlout's eyes widened in shock.

"Hiccup?" he said in confusion. "Why would you ask about old Useless? He was exiled by Stoick years ago-I think he may be dead now, eaten by a dragon or killed by an Outcast. The Chief made me his Heir...and my Dad instantly made yours an offer he couldn't refuse."

"Ugh! Give me my axe. I suddenly need to go training!" she announced. He grabbed her arm, much harder than necessary and she yelped. "Ow! Snotlout..."

"I thought we had finished all this nonsense, Princess, when we married," he said in a hard voice. "As part of your contract, you gave up all this warrior nonsense. Gobber shattered your axe at the wedding as a sign of this deal. You promised to be my obedient, submissive wife, the woman who will run my house, the mother of my heirs...and nothing more. Your role is to cook and clean and service my needs and provide me strong sons and saleable daughters." She backed away from him, shaking her head.

"No..." she breathed. He pushed her back, grasping her hair to keep her still as he leered in her face.

"Don't say we have to start this again," he growled impatiently. "You are my wife...and nothing more. And you will do only what you are told...or you will be utterly dishonoured and so will all your family." And then he slapped her.

She felt tears burn in her eyes for everything she had wanted, every dream she had worked for was gone, taken from her by the worst cruelty. She was trapped, the man she loved gone, her warrior prowess forbidden, her freedom stolen... She backed away from him, tears streaming down her face, her breath hitching in despair. How had it come to this? How had she agreed to this nightmare?

But she knew. Oh yes, she knew. Money. Her family was very poor: Snotlout's was rich and without Hiccup, there was no one else who would bid for her against him. She had been sold, effectively as a slave, to provide for her family, for her two younger brothers...and everything she had wanted had been cast aside like trash.

She collapsed in the corner, seeing no end to her torment, to her prison of a life without battle and excitement. Then Snotlout leaned over her and grabbed her hair, pulling her face up to meet his. "Don't worry, Princess," he said coldly. "You're never getting away from me."

oOo

Fishlegs heard Astrid's scream and he started. He was scuttling through the forest and he stopped, worried. A lot of things worried Fishlegs: that a man as big as him could scuttle was one of them, but also that he wasn't as brave as he should be, that no one took him seriously, that all he seemed to offer was knowledge and that one day they would decide he was expendable.