I'm A Fool For You

{Charlotte's point of view}

Waiting a whole week to take Laila home felt like forever. However currently it was 1am and we were taking her back to Shawn's house in morning.

Laila was out of the SCBU and in a room with me after 3 days. They removed all the tubes from her and she was getting so strong.
Shawn has been great, he hasn't hardly left. I will be released in the morning alongside Laila because the doctors wanted to make sure I wouldn't bleed anymore.
Even Shawn's family have been visiting, they have been the best. Because I can't take Laila on a plane for a while, they have bought a crib, car seat and everything, so that when we go back we'll have everything that we need.

Although my mum couldn't come out here yet because there has been so much snow at the airports in England, that there are no planes going anywhere. It does make me sad because I want her to meet Laila.

But right now, Shawn, Laila and I were all just chilling in my room. We have lost our sleeping pattern to say the least.

"Shawn, I need to go to the toilet, can you keep an eye on Laila," I ask as I get up out of bed.
"I will, I think she's waking up, but we'll be okay."
"I'll be back in a minute."

I make my way to the toilets.
I stand by the sink and I run the taps. I splash the cold water over my face.
I take a deep breath and look at my tired reflection in the mirror.
But the dark circles under my eyes didn't even matter to me anymore.

When I'm on my own, I can't help but think about Thomas. What it would be like if he was here with us too?

My thoughts stopped when I heard a high pitched newborn cry. I ran out the bathroom and hurried along the corridor to my room.

Just before I walk through the door I hear Laila crying, and I stand beside the door because I was curious to see how Shawn would handle himself in this situation.

I heard his voice go soft and say, "Hey baby, what's wrong? Did you have a bad dream? Come here".

I peak around the door to see Shawn pick Laila up and cuddle her. He lays on my bed, humming.
She was still crying, I was about to go in when I hear Shawn start to sing quietly.

"I watch your troubled eyes as you rest,
And I fall in love with every breath.
Wonder if those eyes are really shut,
And am I the one you're dreaming of?

'Cause underneath the darkness
There's a light that's trying so hard to be seen.
And I know this 'cause I've noticed
A little bit shining through the seams.

And if this is what it takes,
Then let me be the one to bare the pain.
Ooh if this is what it takes
I'll break down these walls that are in our way,
If this is what it takes.

You keep on telling me I'm wasting time,
But to call it wasting time oh that's a crime.
And you think it's crazy what I'm trying t'do.
Well baby, I'm a fool for you

'Cause underneath the darkness
There's a light that's trying so hard to be seen.
And I know this 'cause I've noticed
A little bit shining through the seams, yeah

And if this is what it takes,
Then let me be the one to bare the pain.
Ooh if this is what it takes
I'll break down these walls that are in our way"

"Shawn?", I say, walking in.
"Did you hear that?" He asks.
"It was beautiful... and it worked, she's sound asleep."
"She's a pretty good listener," he smiled.
"You're such a good dad Shawn". I said, as I sit on Shawn's travel bed.
"At least we can all go home tomorrow Charlotte."
"I can't wait."
"Doh you want me to get off your bed?"
"No-no-no, Laila looks comfy so you two sleep there, I'm fine here."
"Okay if you're sure".
"Goodnight, I love you", I laugh.
"Love you more".