5 • warmth

Sherlock's POV
••••••••••••••••••

Currently, I am sitting on the sofa. Reading something. But I care not to define it. Not yet.

Mary had visited me earlier. She yelled and scolded at me, before taking William away.

I cared not, of course I knew I was not in the best shape to care for William- but I know I'll feel much more better soon. I just need to solve this case.

As I am thinking, I see Y/N walk into the room from the kitchen. She is radiant like always.

"Sherlock you need to stop wasting your time on that dumb book. Where's William?" She sits next to me on the sofa and glances around.

"Mary took him. She said I'm not fit to be a parent." I sigh and slouch back on the sofa.

"Well that's just absurd." She scoffs and I look at her with a chuckle.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe she's right..." I mumble, and I hear Y/N laugh.

When I see her smile, my chest relieves like I just exhaled the entire blood circulation from my heart.

"Sherlock?" Lestrade's voice rings my ears and Y/N disappears.

I sigh and stand up, straightening the wrinkles of my shirt as I look at him standing by the door.

"Who were you talking to?" Lestrade asks as I stare at the excessive gel on his hair.

"I wasn't talking to anyone. Don't you know how to knock?" I look him up and down, not to deduce- that's too easy- but to make him uncomfortable so that the topic is averted.

"Right, well- you're needed back at the Yard. There's a tough nut; our team can't quite crack it. You coming?" He asks, not bothering to step inside.

"I can't. I'm already working on another case. It requires my full attention." I turn around and pick up a few papers from the floor.

"What case?" He recoils.

I sigh and shut my eyes in irritation, before turning around approaching him with a glare:

"Shouldn't you be with your wife? Oh, nevermind I forgot how she already has company ready whenever you're out."

"Sherlock, If this is about Y/N-"

"Y/N? Why her? Why does everyone always associate me with her? Because she's dead and I'm supposed to be sad? That won't work, you know why? Because she's not dead. And I'm not sad." I say finally, and slam the door shut on his face.

Silence follows before I hear his deep sigh and footsteps fading down the stairs.

"That wasn't nice." Y/N sighs, and I turn to see her sitting in my chair.

I shrug and she smiles playfully at me:

"Did you see how much gel he was wearing on his hair? I almost felt bad for his follicles!" She made a dumb joke.

I stared at her unable to contain my laughter and shook my head:

"You are ridiculous...where are you?"