》three

Professor," Victor murmured slowly, "I didn't expect a visit from you."

Victor had welcomed Matthew and his assistant into his laboratory, a clever smile playing on his lips.

"I was concerned for you," Matthew replied, studying Victor's erratic movements across the laboratory floor.

"You have nothing to be concerned of," Victor whispered, touching the table that was mounted in the center of the floor. A stained sheet hung over an unidentified object. "In fact, I am pleased you decided to come. I needed someone to view my final expedient."

Cautiously, Matthew approached Victor, hand snaking for the sheet. Victor carefully stepped between Matthew and the table. "Hold on," he rasped, "I'm not done yet."

"I've reached a paramount in my research, Dr. Stürme. For years, I have been studying a way to animate a creation of my own...and I believe tonight is the night I achieve it." Victor eye's flashed with a deranged flicker.

"Victor, you must listen to me. You are treading in very dangerous territory-"

"Stop it!" Victor barked, slamming his hand on the table, "You don't understand!"

Aunora stepped forward at Victor's outburst, tightening her fist.

"Victor, please calm down," Matthew said gently, holding out his palms.

Thunder shook the tower, a blinding flash of light bleeding through the skylight at the top of the structure.

"It's time." Victor stared at the ceiling, a shadow falling across his face. "Seraph! Prepare him."

Seraph shuffled into view, holding a mass of wires and clamps. Slowly and shakily, he hooked the clamps to the table, inserting them onto the subject under the blanket.

"Electricty is the secret to life, Mr. Stürme. I believe, with enough electrical power, I can make my own life." Victor's eyes grew distant, and he touched the mass under the sheet.

Matthew's face went pallid. "Is that...a body?"

"Don't look so sickened. Yes, I may had used parts of corpses, but he has never been alive. Not until tonight."

"This is crime against God!" Matthew snarled, "Don't you realize what you're doing?!"

"I know exactly what I'm doing!" Victor screamed, stomping his foot, "I-I-I-" Tears filled his eyes, "I'm making a family!"

Matthew was taken aback. "What?"

"I've never had anyone," Victor hissed, a tremor in his voice, "And now, finally, I will have to chance to have someone love me." A tear slid down his cheek as his knuckles turned white against the table. "He will be my father."

Matthew's expression soften, and he touched Victor's shoulder. "Child..."

"Don't touch me!" Victor shrieked, ripping out of Matthew's grip. His back was arched, a wild look in his eyes. "Seraph! Extend the lightening rod!"

Seraph threw a lever, and the sound of gears churning was near deafening. As if on cue, lighting blazed overhead, the tower shaking with a mighty heave. White hot electricity dashed down the wires, the force throwing Victor onto the ground. The entire table seemed to quiver.

Within seconds, it was over.

Matthew's glasses slid to the bridge of his nose, stray locks of curly hair falling across his eyes. "Did it...did it work?"

With effort, Victor stood, nervously leering over the table.

The creature under the blanket twitched.