Wattpad Original
There are 11 more free parts

Chapter 4.1

"Agent Logan, I have news from Earth."

Tyr Logan looked up from the long, brushed metal desk he stood behind, glancing at the robed individual that had interrupted his thoughts.

Damien, a tall and thin human man, stepped into the doorway of the large office. He lowered his head in a gesture as he spoke, falling silent until given leave to speak. Plain brown robes adorned his frail figure, their colour indicative of the order of attendants, assistants, and caretakers that served Alendor, the Bastion of Knowledge. His marred face betrayed the lines of age, and wisdom flicked behind the cloudy surfaces of his green eyes.

Tyr ran a long fingertip against the cold surface of the desk before setting down the tablet he was reading from. Folding his hands together at his waist, he laid his full attention on the attendant.

Compared to Damien, Tyr Logan was a tall, muscular man of the Ohation race. Unlike the brown of Damien's robes, his robes were long and crimson, reaching to the floor to only reveal the tips of his black boots. Tyr's features differed vastly from the human who stood before him. Straight strands of pale blue hair ran past his shoulders and down his back like a silvery river, framing slightly pointed ears and smooth porcelain skin that showcased the faintest hint of a blue undertone. His features were sharp, and his eyes shone an intense deep violet colour, like an iris in full bloom. It was impossible to tell his age. He was timeless, a stark contrast to humanity.

The Ohations were charged with keeping the knowledge of the known universe current and protected. They were blessed with long lives, sometimes extending well past a thousand years. Some believed the slow rotation of Ohatior, combined with the cooler heat exuding from Mintaka, its parent star, caused this. It made them the perfect candidates to protect and prolong the knowledge of the galaxy. They were a humanoid race, resembling humans in many ways except for their tall height and the jewelled undertones of their skin, eyes, and hair.

"Ah, Damien, come in. Please, speak of your news," Tyr replied, his voice smooth and calm in the quiet of the room. He offered the attendant a warm smile, one of recognition and fondness.

Damien entered the room, moving to stand against the backdrop of the ivory walls that stretched many feet into the air, meeting with beautiful arched and curved ceilings. His feet tapped on the smooth and shining black floors that reflected his visage with perfect clarity. The desk was almost as long as the room, and it was clear of clutter save for the one tablet Tyr was reading from and a single plant with a large violet bloom.

"Sol has put the SS Lunar on high security," Damien spoke after clearing his throat. His voice was a stark contrast to Tyr's. It was rough, much like his aged appearance.

"Is that not the first destination of the CSV Ardent, the ship I've been assigned to?" Tyr asked, raising a brow. His expression was a mix of interest and concern. He took a deep inhalation, the surrounding air carrying the floral scent that wafted from the plant on the desk.

"Yes, Tyr." The attendant nodded, folding his hands behind his back. "I've received a message from Local Intelligence on Earth. It turns out someone has murdered and stolen the identity of a veteran of the Interstellar Defense Movement to gain passage on the Ardent. The crew discovered him while the ship underwent mechanical work on the Lunar."

"That's peculiar. To go to such lengths to get on a ship sent on an exploratory mission is disconcerting. Have they forwarded the full briefing on my assignment yet? If the mission is already steeped in blood, I wonder what is yet to come."

"No, it should arrive by the end of the day. Since the Bastion is sending an Agent of your calibre to the Reso system on a ship full of humans, they are taking all precautions to get as much information as they can before forwarding you the mission. It must be very important, don't you think?" The attendant blinked, a flash of concern washing over his features.

"Reso is a system immersed in mystery. The blood of many races lies in that system, feeding Orion's maw at Plenare's behest. I cannot seem to understand why Earth would want to venture back there." Tyr Logan's voice lowered, and a frown pulled at his lips.

"Humans are pulled in by the unknown, Tyr," the attendant replied, his voice taking on a more personal tone. "Why have you agreed to such a mission if you believe it to be foolish?" The old man's eyes twinkled.

A small smile played over Tyr's lips, and he brushed a finger against the curve of his chin. "I think you are rubbing off on me, Damien. You humans exude a hope, a resilience, and a hunger to move forward even though the odds are against your favour. I can't help but be captivated."

"You are more human than you know, my boy." Damien smiled, leaning down into a low bow.

Tyr chuckled. The old man had called him that since they had first met, and while he liked to pretend it bothered him, it was obvious that it did not. Damien had been one of the first humans to arrive on Alendor, a loyal attendant since the day he arrived. He would never forget the look on the old man's face when he stepped into the Bastion. It was a look of wonder that only a human would be capable of. It had intrigued Tyr, and a bond quickly formed between the two that had lasted many years.

"I wish you wouldn't call me that. I exceed you in years by at least five hundred."

"Ah, well, this planet is working its magic on me. This old human may bypass you yet." He winked and stepped through the exit. "I will forward the briefing as soon as the Bastion has it ready."

Tyr Logan nodded as Damien vanished from his sight. He swept his robes around him and lowered his body into the chair at the desk, pulling the tablet from the surface of the table into his grasp.

There was something strange about this mission. What had the humans found that would spur them to return to a system they had barely escaped from in the first place? Despite all the knowledge at his fingertips, it perplexed him. Reso was a well-guarded secret that even the Bastion had limited information on. He was certain they wanted him on this mission to increase their own knowledge of Reso, despite the risks in going.

"Captain Flynn, what are you up to?" he mused to the tablet, curiosity sparkling in his eyes as he swiped his fingers against the image of a white-haired woman shimmering on the screen. Tyr had seen her face before in the depths of his dreams. He remembered the silky touch of her white hair, something so uncommon for a human of such youth. A frown graced his lips, and he held his breath as he moved his fingers over the woman's full lips. Why had he seen her in his visions? What was her purpose?

Tyr only had a moment with his thoughts before a disembodied voice spoke with formality from the small black device centered on the surface of the desk.

"Agent Logan," the low voice addressed him, slow and contemplative.

"Yes?" Tyr responded, raising a brow. He pushed the tablet onto the table and focused on the small black communication device.

"The Chair requires your presence. Come to the Echoing Chamber without hesitation."

"Of course. I'm on my way."