Chapter Twenty-Eight

My blood burned in my veins. I felt the scream tear through my chest as my voice broke the silence of the morning. It shattered the tranquility that settled around the pack house.

"NO!"

Bodies fell to their knees simultaneously, as if every single werewolf on the compound had a switch that was just turned off. Their necks were exposed, their bodies lax—as if waiting for a command. Seth was the only one who didn't kneel before me, but it pained him—I saw the strain in his eyes as he forced his body toward me.

I couldn't breathe. My chest was too tight. My fingers were numb.

Tommy.

My eyes connected with Seth, who immediately looked down. "Seth." My voice was empty, emotionless. He stepped closer to me, bending to one knee. I clutched the cell phone a little tighter. Something hardened over my entire body, creating a shield as I spoke, "Mom, I'm sending four of my pack members to you. You know two of them—Jason and Kellan. They are to bring you both here. They are on their way now. Pack a bag for you and Dad, quickly." I motioned for Seth to stand. "Is Dad in the hospital?"

My mother sobbed softly. "N-no. The EMTs decided he didn't need to go to the hospital."

"Are the police there?"

"Yes."

"Do not talk to them. My Beta, Seth, will deal with them," I looked at Seth as I spoke. "We have connections with the police. We can take of this." Seth nodded, as though confirming what I had said. "We'll get him back, Mom."

"What the hell is going on, Phoebe?" she cried.

"I'll explain when you and Dad get here. Pack enough clothes for a week. Don't talk to the police. Let Seth handle it." Seth moved toward one of the parked SUVs, still shirtless. Wordlessly, three bodies stood from the crowd of kneeling pack members. Jason, Kellan, and Spencer quickly slid into the SUV and Seth sped off.

"I love you, Mom. I'll see you when you get here."

"Phoebe, please—"

"When you get here, Mom," I said sternly and then hung up. I glanced over at the kneeling bodies. I forced the tremble out of my voice as I spoke rather harshly, "John, a word in the Alpha's office, please."

John silently stood and followed me inside the house. Once we reached the office and he closed the door behind him, I let the facade fall. It crumbled around me, allowing me to shake with unshed tears. "They fucking kidnapped my baby brother," I shouted. My nail beds ached, like they wanted to grow talons.

John didn't respond.

"What can we do?" I asked him as tears fell from my burning eyes.

"Trackers, Alpha. Send our best trackers to the house once the police have left and your parents are in the compound. We'll follow Tommy's trail, we'll find him."

"Send for Alpha Alexander," I snapped.

"They are to return this afternoon, Alpha."

Alpha Alexander left three days ago. He needed to visit the weakest packs with their newly trained enforcers to ensure they could protect their own. Jason and Kellan called it a campaign run. He had his cell phone but most of the packs he was visiting were incredibly remote, and I still hadn't mastered mind-linking. My chest suddenly tightened and the hairs on my neck stood on end. My body hummed with warmth.

"He's already here," I stated in a flat voice.

The front door cracked against the wall as it was violently swung open. A second passed and Alpha Alexander was in the office, wrapping his hand around my neck and pulling me into my chest. Sarah followed in behind him. She looked at me with concern before turning to John. "Who was assigned at the house?"