Chapter Twenty-Two: Subconscious

Rose Josue's POV

Corin was going to be arriving with Donald Rainier any minute now. The halls had been cleared by the others and I stood at the door of Skylar's room, where Claire had absolutely refused to leave since we ended our calls the other day. The others and I had been running everything.

I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and I leaned back into my husband's warm embrace. "How is she?" he asked quietly so she wouldn't hear.

"She's breaking Ignace. We need to get Skylar back," I whispered back my eyes still on my friend. "She's been through so much, I don't she could handle losing him."

"Donald will fix him, if Kara vouches for him then that should be good enough," he reminded and I nodded.

"Still what if it's something that he can't fix? We have no idea what is wrong with him," I pointed out my voice a little louder than I meant for it to be.

"You said to be optimistic," Claire said quietly looking at the two of us. My heart sank and the sight of her eyes, there were deep dark circles under them and she just looked so defeated and hopeless.

"You're right I'm sorry," I apologized and Ignace's grip tightened around my stomach.

"It'll be okay," he whispered before kissing the side of my head.

"Blindfolded silver coming through," Corin announced down the hall and Ignace let me go as the two of us moved further inside of the room. We agreed earlier that it would be best if our entire leadership wasn't in here. Son only Ignace, Claire, and I would be in the room. Corin would leave as soon as he delivered Donald. Corin walked past the door and let go of Donald. He gave me a small smile before leaving the room and shutting the door behind him. I took off Donald's blindfold.

He rubbed his eyes for a second before opening them. "Thank you," he said to me and I didn't reply. He looked around the room. "Been a long time Ignace, Claire."

"Yeah it has," Ignace said as he stepped up next to me.

"I'm sure my brother explained a little more," I said and Donald nodded.

"I'll see what I can do," he replied before moving to sit next to Skylar. Claire was watching him very carefully. Donald took a deep breath and closed his eyes and everything was quiet for a minute. "Ah damnit!" he shouted as he jumped back his hand on his head.

"What's wrong?" I asked as I stepped closer to him.

"I've never seen a subconscious so powerful. Usually the subconscious is bothered when we enter people head's, but his... fought. I can't tell what's wrong with him if I can't stay in longer," Donald explained.

"And how can you do that?" Ignace asked.

"He would have to trust me," Donald said. "Recognize me as someone who is there to help."

"That's not going to happen," Claire muttered.

"Then what are we going to do?" Ignace asked and Donald shrugged.

"Can you put someone else in his head, kind of use you like a bridge?" I asked.

"I suppose," Donald asked. "Do you have someone in mind?"

"Claire, should do it," I said.

"He wouldn't want me in his head," she said quietly.

"You're the only one he would let in, we have to try. If you don't work then I'll take a go at it, then maybe Blair," I commented. Claire thought about it for all of thirty seconds before nodding.

"Okay Claire, you need to clear your mind and you have to let me in. You can't fight me or this won't work," Donald stated and she nodded before closing her eyes and taking a few steady breaths.

***

Claire Rune's POV

I was in a library and very confused. I felt Donald in my head and then I was here. I walked over to one of the bookshelves and the books had months, days, and years on them.

"They are memories," a voice said and I would know that voice anywhere. I turned and saw Skylar. I couldn't help the tears that dripped down my face as I ran forward and hugged him, he hugged me back. "It will all be okay Claire, it's not too late to get him back."

"Him? Is this a dream?" I asked as I let him go.

"No, this isn't a dream. You're in my subconscious, I'm the personification of Skylar here," Skylar explained.

"So you're not him?" I asked.

"I am and I'm not. I'm the part that takes over when he really sleeps, as everyone's subconscious does," he explained. "This is my part of his head. I keep all the memories and send them to the conscious side when he needs them."

I was starting to get it, a little. "You said get him back."

"I did. The conscious Skylar is not here, it was torn from his body," he explained.

"Torn?" I asked.

"He was dragged into a dream and didn't come back," he explained. "The brain is getting weaker, the consciousness isn't supposed to be out for this long, it's why he can't stay in dreams for a long time or why Rainier's can only go as far as the conscious part of the brain."

"Speaking of that, where is Donald?" I asked.

"I left him in the void where Skylar's conscious part should be and pulled you into the subconscious so we could talk, but I'm not attacking him this time so he should be able to keep you here for at least a little bit," he explained and I nodded.

"How do I get uh your consciousness back?" I asked.

"Whoever pulled Skylar into that dream has a connection to him and they haven't been asleep since, but even if the person does sleep I can't guarantee that he will just come back. You may need the Rainier's help with that part," he explained.

"Okay, we'll look for the person," I promised and he smiled before tucking some of my hair behind my ear.

"I've seen you in so many memories, created so many dreams, it's nice to finally meet you Claire," he said quietly.

"I guess you too. Um Skylar?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yes?" he asked in return.

"You know... you know I-" I was cut off by Skylar's lips crashing against mine as he pulled me closer to him and I didn't resist, instead I melted into his kiss and kissed him back. He was the first to pull back.

"I know Claire, but the conscious part is always a little slower," he whispered. "I wish we could keep talking, but the Rainier is getting tired."

"I'll fix you Skylar, I promise," I swore. He leaned in a kissed my forehead.

"I know you will Claire," he said and then suddenly the library and him vanished and I was surrounded by darkness before I opened my eyes.

"Where did you go?" Donald asked me quickly.

"His subconscious," I said quietly.

"Well what's going on? What happened?" Rose asked impatiently.

"His consciousness was pulled into a dream and is stuck in that person and we may need Donald to help get Skylar's consciousness back where it belongs," I explained.

"How do you know that?" Donald asked.

"Because his subconscious told me. Now my guess is that it's a member of his family, since the rest of us has slept and we would remember if he was in one of our dreams. We need to check on all of them," I decided. "Donald you either need to stay here or stay close enough for us to grab you in a moment's notice."

"I'll just stay here, I don't like being blindfolded," he replied.

"Good. We should send people to his hometown right away," I instructed and Rose nodded with a smile on her face. "What?"

"Nothing, just welcome back Claire," Rose said and I rolled my eyes, but in a way she was right. I was finally back from the edge and now nothing was going to stop me from getting Skylar back.