Chapter 12

A/N: Hi guys, here's the final chapter of Being You! Thanks for joining me on this journey, I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know these characters, and I hope you did too! Stay tuned (and follow me) for updates - I will be releasing the second book soon which will focus on Jeremy's story. 

It was evening by the time Jeremy returned home from the hospital with his family. He was lucky that nothing seemed to be broken, but he had terrible bruising that would take a while to heal, so the doctors gave him a prescription for some painkillers to ease his discomfort. It was a miracle he wasn't badly injured, really — he hadn't even lost a tooth despite being hit repeatedly in the face.

His mum had called the school to find out what had happened and learned that Jay and his three friends had been suspended for two weeks. Being the protective woman she was, she suggested they should be expelled. Ella had almost laughed when she'd heard her mum argue with the principal over the phone. But Jeremy was afraid to hear what came next, because he knew his parents were going to demand to know what had happened. Why hadn't they heard about the bullying before? Why were they only after him? Those were questions that he didn't know how to answer.

They ordered pizza and brought it into the lounge room so they could watch TV because no one felt like cooking. "So," his dad cleared his throat. Jeremy reluctantly muted the TV. "How long has this been happening Jer?"

There it was, the dreaded question. The panic that had been simmering under the surface all afternoon since the incident rose again, tightening around his throat and rendering him speechless. "Uh—I—" He stopped, struggling to breathe.

"Hey, Jer, it's okay," Ella said softly, sliding along the couch next to him and rubbing his back slowly. "Just breathe for me, alright?"

He tried to listen to her words and do as she said, but it was difficult. "Why—Why am I so—scared of everyone?" he stammered, dissolving shamefully into tears. "It's—so—hard. Everyone at school, they all—hate me. They think—I'm weird. They call me—a faggot. I guess I'm just easy to pick on." He hung his head, weary. He allowed Ella to pull him into a hug, resting his head on her shoulder and closing his eyes.

His dad spoke up. "I get it Jeremy," he said gently. "The hierarchies at school are crazy. They don't make any sense, and people show their worst sides there. They pick on people for no good reason. And we don't blame you at all, son."

"That's right," said his mum. "All we want is to get those little bastards expelled from school."

"Mum, language!" Ella admonished their mother in shock.

"Sorry dear." A slight smile twitched at their mum's mouth. Jeremy even let out a tiny laugh, halfhearted though it was. "Anyway, we're on your side, Jeremy. If we can't get those children expelled, then you're welcome to transfer if you'd like."

Jeremy swallowed. That option came with a whole other set of anxieties: starting at a new school with new people and a new environment. It was all too much to handle right now.

"Well, how about you take the day off tomorrow, Jer?" suggested their dad.

"Sure," he said gratefully. He would take any chance to stay away from school for now.

"And you, young lady," began their mother, addressing Ella. "Since when have you been involved in so many fights?"

"Since I realised that Jeremy was the main punching bag out of the guys in our year," she replied smoothly. "I just can't let my darling little brother get pushed around."

Their dad grunted, whether in agreement or not it was impossible to tell. Their mum sighed. "I understand. Just... try not to get involved, if you can. I think they're going to give you a suspension this time, Ella."