15: Role Switch

“You’re pregnant?” I ask her, she nods her head looking in her lap.

“Hey, it’s okay, remember I was pregnant at your age too,” I smile and she nods, not returning the smile. I remember trying to explain to my grandma what happened, yeah, that was hell.

“She wouldn’t even let me explain!” She cries propping her elbows on the table, burying her face in her hands. I slide over next to her and comfortably rub her back as she cries. Her breathing slows and she wipes her tears off her face again.

“I was walking home from the store and I heard someone calling my name, I turned around and saw Malachi, my boyfriend, walking down this street. I thought it was him so I turned around and followed him down the road. I turned the corner and felt someone’s hand covering my mouth. They told me to take off my clothes so I did and they did it. They said if I told anyone they’d hurt me, I tried to tell my mom but she just yelled at me and told me she never wanted to see me again, she didn’t believe me!” She says not crying as much. I pull her into a hug and rub her back again.

“Do you have anywhere else to go?” I ask her she shakes her head.

“No, my mom and I moved here from the states last year so none of my relatives are here,” she says and I nod

“Let’s go talk to Ashton,” I say we both stand up and throw away our garbage and walked back to the park.

“I’m scared, this is my idol we’ll be talking to and he’ll think I’m stupid or something,” She says stopping by the same bench we were at just a little bit ago.

“If he thinks you’re stupid I’ll slap him, I swear. Plus, we were the same age, El, you keep forgetting that. We made the same mistake, it’ll be okay, I promise,” I say smiling, she smiles back and we walk toward Ashton who is now pushing the twins on swings.

“Ashton, we have to go now,” I say to him, he gives me a questioning look and I shake my head.

“Aright, out you go!” He says pulling them off the swings then walking over to me, the twins a little bit ahead of us.

“Why are we going home? Why is Ella coming with us? What’s going on?”

“Ashton! Just chill, we just need to go home okay? We’ll talk about it there.” I say and he nods. We walk in silence the short way there; the twins go upstairs and practically immediately fall asleep.

“So why did we have to leave early? And why is Ella with us?” Ashton says sitting in the chair he normally does while Ella and I sit on the couch. I look over at Ella and she nods, looking down at her lap and fiddling with her fingers.

“I-I-erm-uh-got kicked out,” she says, Ashton sits up from his relaxed position and leans in closer.

“What? Why?” She looks up at me her eyes watering

“Do you want me to tell him?” I ask her and she nods.

“She was raped a couple weeks ago and she’s pregnant. She tried telling her mom, but she wouldn’t listen, said she was lying and kicked her out.”