Chapter 4 - Trust

"Good luck..." Sasha almost purred as I walked towards the village. "You'll need it."

I sighed as I went out of earshot from Sasha. Ten years, and Phoenix Drop was a mess. Vegetation had taken over the place.

I heard a sound. I froze.

Someone was approaching the gate. I forced myself into my human form. When I saw who was at the gates, I gasped.

It was Malachi. The boy I had helped raised. I felt like a father to him, like he was my son, and I took care of him, with Aphmau...

"Dad-- Laurance! Laurance... Is it really you?" Malachi asked.

"Malachi...?" I felt the myself choke out. He had called me dad... Did he feel that I was his father? He was a full grown man... Memories flooded me. I shook my head.

No Laurance... They betrayed you... I told myself. But a smaller voice murmured to him.

But did Malachi really betray me?

Maybe not, but that didn't mean, or change, anything. I was out for revenge, faking my loyalty.

"Laurance!" Malachi's eyes clouded as he climbed down the gates and hugged me.

My eyes widened. It had been ten years since I last had a hug, such emotion. 

"It's really you." He murmured to himself. He let go of me and cleared his throat, probably trying to act serious.

"Laurance... Where were you?" Malachi asked. He finally took notice of my armor. "Why do you have Shadow Knight armor...?"

"That... That Malachi is a long story." I simply told him.

"Come on... We have so much to catch up on!"

-o-

I had saw everyone... everyone... all my old friends...

Except Garroth... and Aphmau... 

 She was there, but I hadn't seen her yet. Garroth... I learned...

Was in the Irene Dimension.

I wouldn't be able to get revenge on him any time soon. 

I had caught up with everyone. Katelyn, Malachi, Levin, Zoey, even a little bit with 'The Stranger'. Although personally it was a bit awkward.

I was in normal, comfortable clothes now. 

I looked around and shrugged. I had nothing to do right now, so I decided to walk around in the forest, outside the small gate, and the large gate.

-o- 

I sighed as I lay down on the cool grass. To feel so peaceful, it's been so long since I last felt like this. 

Suddenly, I heard someone approaching. I stood quickly, on high alert, taking out my large green sword, the one Katelyn gave us before we fully trusted her.

"Laurance?"

Speak of the devil, it was Katelyn.

"Katelyn?" I asked turning to her. The blue-head nodded.

"Yes?" She asked. When I didn't say anything, she continued. "Why are you here?" 

I shrugged. 

"I could ask you the same thing."

Katelyn glanced at a tree. 

"Just remembering memories I had." Katelyn's expression seemed to fall into a longing look. 

"Oh." Was all I could say.

"And it's peaceful here." Katelyn added in.

"That's true," I nodded. "I can't believe how much has changed in ten years."

"I know, everything is so different..." Katelyn trailed off. 

I noticed Katelyn staring at me intently.

"What?" I asked, narrowing my eyes.

"Humph, everyone may trust you, but I have my eye on you Laurance." Katelyn answered honestly, narrowing her eyes.

"I appreciate the honesty, but is that a threat?" I asked.

"Of course not. I'm just letting you know that it takes a while for me to give trust." Katelyn replied simply.

"And to gain." I grinned.

Katelyn's lips twitched into a tiny smile.

"True, true. You better be back in a while, or everyone might get suspicious." Katelyn said wryly.

I nodded and turned to walk towards the gate.

"You coming?" I asked, turning to her.

"I think I'll be here a while, after all, I just reached here." said Katelyn as I turned away to walk off.

-o-

I was saw Nekoette giving Aaron an apple and run off to Dante, her father. I felt myself smile lightly, Dante had became a father. Heh...

There were so many things I had missed... What would have happened if I had escaped the Nether.

I shook my head, darkly.

Than you would have been a blind fool trusting them for no reason.

I was minding my own business, peaceful as ever.

Until... I heard the voice of the one I thought I  would always love...

"Laurance?"

"Aphmau..."