2 • Poetic Abuse

"Uh thank you Amanda for your uh...lovely poem," Mr. DuBois, my English teacher, said with emotionless sarcasm.

                The girl, Amanda Vinceson, nodded frantically and smiled her braced teeth at the class as everyone clapped carelessly for her. She bowed slightly. "Thank you, thank you," she thanked before prancing over to her seat.

                Mr. DuBois rolled his eyes and shook his head, looking at the roll sheet to pick out another random student to read their poetry assignment in front of the class.

                I rested the side of my face in the palm of my hand while quietly doodling Jack Skellington on a piece of computer paper. My jaw was swollen and stinging slightly from last night's incident, which left an abundant black and blue bruise from the strike.

                When I took a shower this morning, I found 2 other dark bruises on my back being added on with the other 5 bruises I've already had before the recent kicks of last night.

                Luckily for me, I had managed to cover up the bruise on my jaw with foundation that I had found in the bathroom as best as I could. So you couldn't even tell that I had a nasty bruise on my face. Well, at least I hope no one could tell. I never look at myself in the mirror...

                I heard Mr. DuBois sigh lazily, clearing his throat. I immediately stopped doodling as I braced myself from who he was about to call next. I prayed urgently in my head not for it to be me.

                "Kadence Hoy,"

                I froze at my name being called. My heart began to pound in my ears rapidly. Everyone in the class turned around to look at me as I stayed put in my seat.

                "Um, Kadence?" Mr. DuBois' sudden question made me jump, "Do you have your assignment or not?"

                I nodded, slowly standing up with my poem in my hand. My legs felt like jelly as I began to walk down the aisle to the front of the class, which felt like walking down the yellow brick road.

                I heard a couple of snickers and snide remarks as I made my way down the aisle. Mr. DuBois even looked like he was about to laugh at my nervous stature.

                My hands and body shook like a tree in the wind as I breathed in deeply. I kept my eyes lowered on my paper, not wanting to show any eye contact whatsoever. I parted my lips and let the written words from my paper nervously flow out of me.

                "I sat alone in the cold dark room

                I knew that she would be home soon

                I really wish that people knew

                how much pain I was going through

                I heard a car park outside 

                If someone could hear me I would of cried

                The door opened viciously with a thud

                I would of ran for it if I could

                I dream of a world where I am free

                But Mommy was already looking for me

                She dragged me out from under my bed

                I knew she wished that I was dead

                Cowering in fright I began to plea

                'Please mommy, don't do this to me'

                But I could tell it was already too late

                The alcohol she depended on had already decided my fate

                It was all my fault that I'm the one she doesn't like

                It was all my fault that she didn't like life

                She kicked me and punched me

                I never dared to disagree

                I am used to being shoved against a wall

                I am used to her making me feel so small

                The false laughter, the broken smile

                With the first strike I should of ran a mile

                I am warning you, never hide away

                Never ever pretend everything is okay

                Get Help, before it's too late..."

                There was a silent pause after I was done reading. I held back restrained tears at every line I recited. Every bit of this poem was the truth about me...

                I heard Mr. DuBois cough back a laugh. "Okay uh, that was very...disturbing," he commented. Everyone laughed at that comment. I blinked my tears that were ever so determined to fall from my eyes.

                I could hear the smile in his voice as the jerk of an English teacher continued, "Is there anything else you would like to share with the class, or are you done scaring us for the day?"

                The laughing increased throughout the classroom at his unpleasant joke. I kept my head hung low to hide my face behind my paper in embarrassment, fighting my tears away. Curse my irrepressible sensitivity.

                "Asshole," a sudden voice muttered, making the cruel laughter die down.

                Everyone turned to look at the person in confusion. Even I had looked up with slightly widened eyes at what he said. He had took the word that I wanted to call Mr. DuBois right out of my mouth.

                "Excuse me, Damien? Did you say something?" asked Mr. DuBois.

                "I said amazing," the boy, Damien, corrected, "I-I think what Kadence wrote was amazing,"

                When I looked up fully, we had made eye contact. His bright silver eyes were gentle and read with honesty. My heartbeat began to quicken all of sudden as our eyes locked. My heart felt like it was yearning for something...

                I jumped back into reality after Mr. DuBois loudly cleared his throat before quickly heading back to my seat that was at the back in the corner of the classroom. While the English teacher picked on another student to read their poem, I slowly ran my hand through my brown hair in consciousness.

                My bruised jaw stung a little as my cheeks began to warm up. I glanced back at Damien, who was only two desks away from mine. He looked like he was blushing too, but I couldn't tell since he had his signature hood over his head.

                I didn't know if he really meant what he said about my poem, but it made me feel kind of special that he actually acknowledged it.

                I looked down at my poem and doodled a heart and wrote the word Amazing in the middle in elegant incursive handwriting. That's what Damien Coplen thought of my poem.

*~*~*~*

A/N: I know this chapter may not be that good, but I tried my best :) :P

I don't own the poem by the way. =^w^=