Chapter 1

I, Alicia Walls,was dead.
There was no escaping it. I remember it like it was yesterday.
Waking up, only to look down at the blood stained pavement. Where my body lay.
So peaceful, almost as if I had no worries when I died.
It's been 2 years now. I visit my own grave to see if anyone has left me anything every now and then.
No one has done it though.
Nobody cares that I'm gone, and to be honest, I can't blame them.
I never had any real friends, it was always just me and Max. My dog.
He was a mutt that me and my cousin Alex found on the street.
He was too cute not to take home, so, I did. I bathed him, fed him, and quickly began to fall in love with him. I never did know what kind of dog he was, but it didn't matter.
Oh yeah, then there was Thomas. The school janitor.
He was in his mid twenty's. He was always nice to me.
That is, until he began looking at me differently, It wasn't a friendly stare anymore. He would look me up and down.
Occasionally, he would 'accidentally' let his hand graze my back.
Then, there were my parents, who never liked me. I was never at my house due to the abuse and neglect I got from them. I moved in with Thomas.
Eventually, Thomas and I began making a relationship with eachother.
I loved him now. He loved me too.
He was my first, as I was his.
I miss him. He's currently married to a very beautiful young woman.
My parents died.
Max is in a shelter.
And I'm here, wandering the streets as a spirit.
It's not too bad though, I don't have to eat, I don't have to sleep, I don't have any responsibilities.
I miss being able to talk to live people though. Spirits don't talk to one another. We occasionally wave to eachother or force a smile but that was it.
No one in the spirit world ever bothered with making friends. There was no point.
Spirits have no feelings, no emotions, nothing. So even if we made friends with eachother, it would be no fun.
I rarely visited the spirit world, it was too quiet, apart from the few children who lived there, who would laugh and play dispite their true pain deep inside.
I loved the human world, it was so alive and full of music and laughter. The streets filled with cars and beautifully colored lights filled the windows of shops.
My favorite time of day was the late evening, when the sky turned pink and orange and the clouds danced and intertwined with one another, creating a beautiful scene.
You learn to appreciate the little things more once you're gone. Like the smell of the air, and the warm feeling of the sun on your back.
Peoples eyes were so bright and full of life, unlike me, with my dull grey eyes, which showed no light or reflections of beautiful things.
I was stuck this way for the rest of my eternal life. No happiness, no fun, no family, no friends.
Sometimes, if the God's are pleased with you, they'll allow you to take some sort of shape in the world, like and animal or person. I love getting to be alive again, even for the short amount of time.
I liked breathing and filling my lungs with the sweet smelling are again.
I liked the feeling of being noticed, and watched.
I liked sitting in the small diners and drinking the warm coffee they sold.
I've never really thought about how much the world has changed since I'd been gone.
Above all else, my most favorite thing is watching couples. Boyfriends, girlfriends, wives and husbands. Their eyes bright with joy and compassion for the one they were with.
The way they squeezed eachothers hands, as if to say they'll never let go.
The sound of the laughs and giggling they made while they were together.
Here I sit, in a Starbucks. Drinking my coffee.
I looked out the window, seeing people of all size and color walk by.
I was startled when I heard someone pull up and chair to my table.
A young man, about early twenty's sat there. His bright brown eyes watching me. His short black hair slightly moving as he shifted nervously.
"H-hey, I'm Adam", he said, his voice shaking.
I smiled at him and could see his cheeks turn red.
" Hi Adam", watching his cheeks turn an even darker shade as I said his name, " I'm Alicia, it's nice to meet you."
I liked his face. The way it was curved in all the right places, the way his stubble covered his chin.
".....uuuum, I have to go" he quickly muttered and stood from the table, shuffling away, only to turn back and place a small piece of paper on the table in front of me.
I watched as he made his way out the door, embarrassingly hitting his head on the way out.
I giggled as I watched him wave at me from outside the glass and rush off to catch a taxi.
I picked up the piece of paper, blushing as I read the number written on it.
I entered the number into my phone and labeled the contact.
I made my way to my apartment, closing and locking the door.
I took off my clothes and made way way to the bathroom to take a shower. After cleaning myself off, I laid down on the bed and shut my eyes.
I begin to feel my spirit leave the body I was assigned as it drifts to sleep.
"Thank you, I'll be back tomorrow" I whispered as I looked at how peaceful the sleeping body was. I kept looking back at it as I opened the portal to the spirit world, slowly stepping in and closing it back up.
_____________________________________
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it, leave a comment letting me know what you think :)
-Panicatthetumblr69