Immortal (Part Three)

Jon accompanied his boss throughout the rest of the facility. Jeri poked his nose inside every room, spending a few moments to chat to anyone who was available.

"I really need to visit more often," he confided to Jon. "Now Dad's moved to take over the family company on Earth, this one is mine. I know I have your reports, but it's not the same as being here and seeing for myself."

"No, sir," Jon reluctantly agreed. He couldn't help his heart sinking at the thought of Jeri being here every day, inevitably taking over the best bits of his - Jon's - job.

Jeri even took Adam for a few moments while he chatted to Henk. "Cute baby," said Jeri as Adam smiled and gurgled happily in his arms. "Is he the only baby on site?"

"Yes sir," said Henk. "That's why we take it in turns to have him with us at our stations, those of us where it's suitable of course. It's too lonely for the little chap to be in the crèche by himself all day."

"You're not his father, then?" asked Jeri.

"Oh no!" laughed Henk. "I'm just helping out. I like babies."

"Good of you. His mother must appreciate the break," Jeri smiled. "Which section does she work in?"

There was a deathly pause. Henk turned an anguished face to Jon, who cleared his throat. Fuck! This was going to be over to him. He couldn't believe this. How could Jeri not know?

"Your father didn't tell you?"

Jeri looked from one frozen face to the other and gritted his teeth. "What? What didn't my father tell me?"

"About Adam." Jon paused a moment hoping Jeri would somehow smile and say "Oh that! Of course he did."

"Would. Someone. Please. Tell. Me. Now." Jeri's patience was wearing very thin.

"Um... Adam is the result of an experiment. He was conceived in the laboratory from donated egg and sperm. After he was born he was cared for here, in the crèche, by a foster mother for the first six months of his life." Jon paused for a second to gather his thoughts, then appeared to go off at a tangent. "Did you know that a baby grows a further 30 per cent from birth weight in the first five months? And up to 50 per cent by the time it is twelve months old?"

"No, I didn't... but what's that got to do with Adam?"

"Adam was given a treatment – an experimental drug based on the enzyme, Telomerase, at age six months. That was the time Dr Jenner calculated the enzyme would have most chance of success without also triggering the cancer cells which it does when applied to an adult."

Jeri was staring with growing horror at Adam, who was gurgling happily.

"You're telling me Jenner experimented on a human baby?" He glared at Jon.

Jon took an involuntary step back. "Don't space the messenger, Stek. It was nothing to do with me."

"But what happened? He looks normal enough," Jeri stared at Adam. "Was he hurt? Is he in pain?"

"Oh no, he's fine. As fine as a healthy six month old can be."

"So the experiment didn't work then."

"But it did. Too well, I'm afraid. Adam's cells are constantly regenerating, keeping him alive and healthy. They just don't let him change."

"What?" Jeri didn't understand.

"He doesn't grow. Adam has been six months old for the past twenty seven years. Dr Jenner is worried he might be immortal."