XI: Bloodstained Rose

A new chapter! Whoo!

If anyone is interested I would love if you checked out my new story The Problems With Falling In Love. It's different than this story but I still think it's a lot of fun. Enjoy this chapter!!

(Anthony's POV)

I've traveled through the portal many times before, going both from this world and my own, but rarely did I ever get to watch what it is like for others to go through it. Richard is standing by as Thomas preps the mirror for the Transference. I can't help but be a little surprised that Richard doesn't say anything about me being in the same room as the mirror considering how suspicious he gets every time I got near it.

"It's almost ready," Thomas tells him. Richard nods in response and turns to grab a canvas bag off the ground just as the human girl walks into the living room. I try to suppress a burst of laughter at the look of surprise on Richard's face as he sees her. He composes himself and turns away from her before she can see.

"What is Grace doing in here?" Richard asks, his voice sounding exhausted. "I thought I asked you to please take her home." Thomas is as expressionless as ever even through Richard's annoyance at him.

"Grace has become very involved in all of this and I think that she is entitled to be here when it happens." That is all he said.

I smirk. It is rather unusual for Thomas to ever directly disagree with Richard. It almost makes me appreciate having that girl around with us all the time.

"I don't know if that's the best idea." I roll my eyes. Of course, he doesn't think it's a good idea because it isn't his idea.  

"If it makes you feel any better, I will disconnect it right after you go through. None of us will see what takes place on the other side." There it is. The appeasement to make sure poor Richard isn't too upset. For a moment there I thought Richard might not actually get his way, but of course the beloved firstborn must always have what he want—no. I have to stop before I become too worked up about the subject. As much as I know it is the truth, I need to save that for a better time.

"What happens on the other side?" The girl's aggravating voice brings me back.

Richard only looks at Thomas but won't answer her. I smirk at the dismayed look on his face. Of course, he doesn't want to tell her and her irritatingly incessant questioning only makes his struggle not to tell her all the more difficult. "What happens on the other side, Richard?"

"Well, I haven't been to my world in so long... Thomas and I are both worried that something strange might...might happen when I go back." 

I snort from where I'm leaning against the wall. She shoots me a look out of the corner of her eye before turning her attention back to Richard. I roll my eyes and smirk at her clear disdain for me. It is  comical how easily Richard has gotten her wound around his little finger and now she just hangs on his every word. And then of course there is the fact that she doesn't register how much he is keeping from her all because he worried too much that she won't be able to handle it. Richard has dug himself in deep now and I can't help but enjoy watching him squirm under this apparently unending inquisition. 

I try to tune out everything else that they say. More arguing between Richard and the girl, all uninteresting at this point. She really doesn't give up, does she? It would almost be an admirable quality if it isn't for the fact that I absolutely can't stand it. 

"Thomas, will you open the portal for me?" 

Finally! We are getting somewhere. Richard walks over and stands in front of the mirror on the table away from the girl. He gazes down at it as Thomas comes around by him,