#NaNoDare - Goodbye Letter

#NaNoDare

Take this dare from 6th grade Young Writers Program participant Mackenzie: "Write a goodbye note from one of your characters. Write why they left and/or their deepest confessions. You get to know your character and it is very fun." 

- Challenge accepted, Mackenzie!

I read many comments asking for me to bring Michael back or to continue or give an alternate ending. I'm sorry, guys! I'm afraid I can't do it... But what I can do is this: I am adding this last part, a goodbye letter written by Michael, to Charlie. It was this letter that gave Charlie some closure, so I hope this will comfort some of you too! 

***

"My dear Charlie,

Tomorrow, my love, I decided that I will cease to exist. If I were to put it in human words, I'd say I will be dead by the time you read this. But unlike most humans, I am not remotely afraid. Maybe because I know what will happen to me.

Truth is, Miss Charlotte, I won't feel pain; I won't feel anything, just the way I was supposed to be during my short 'life'. Once I am disconnected, I will be dismantled, and that will be the end of me. I will cease to exist. And that's alright. I hope it's done properly, but it doesn't matter what will happen to me; I am not bothered, because I know what will happen to you.

You will have a wonderful life; and more than that, you will make other people's life worth living. There is so much love in this heart of yours, and it can't go to waste, especially over me.

Let us be honest, Charlie. I am aware that my consciousness was something that was not meant to be. I am aware that, not being human, I was, to everyone, an echo of what you are. You say I am a miracle, but I know that you were my miracle; I will never forget that, when I asked you if you thought I had a heart, you did not hesitate to say yes. You've shown me the best face of humanity, and I'd like to think you made me as human as I could possibly be. Still, I know I would only make your life harder by insisting to be by your side, and this is something I would never want to do. You deserve a good life, with someone who can give you all the things you deserve. I can't be that someone, as much as I want to.

That is why you will go on and find someone who will love you.You will keep being the most brilliant and compassionate woman I have ever met, the scientist everyone admires and respects, the woman who loves watching children's movies. One day, you might even do a groundbreaking discovery and change the world. Maybe you will have children. I don't know what you'll do, but I know you'll have a good life. And you will do it for me, Charlie. Have the life you think I'd wish to live.

I realize you will suffer when you get the news tomorrow, and I'm sorry for that. I wish it could be like the good days when we could listen to Frank Sinatra and Andy Williams, and making origami. But we both know we can't. I just want you to know that the time we had together, it was the best time. The happiest time, I'm telling you. And I wouldn't have it any other way. You're the one who helped me with my first steps, and I know you were proud of me. I don't exactly understand the human concept of afterlife, and even if I did, I doubt it'd apply to me. But if there is any chance my consciousness is close to any sort of existence after this, make sure that I will be proud of you. And if you want, you can think of me. But not every time; you'll have a full life, and I don't want to be on the way. But every now and then, I hope you will spare me a thought, and remember just how much I love you. I hope you will not hate me or mourn me for too long. After all, I am doing this for you.

Have a fantastic life, Charlie.

Michael."

***

If you enjoyed "Michael 2.0", be sure to check out my newest Sci-Fi, "The Mandela Effect"! Link below and on the "external link" part, or just jump to my profile and check it out!

https://www.wattpad.com/326848898-the-mandela-effect-nanowrimo-2016-the-mandela