Chapter 3|| "I beg your pardon"

3rd update: November 13th

You were extremely excited to see Dan the next day at the curb, so you left extra early. Throwing your hair up into a ponytail/messy bun, you run out the door.

Reaching the curb, you see Dan as expected. Sure enough, it was raining as well.

A smile slowly cracks on your lips, and you walk up to him setting your backpack down.

"Hey..." you plop right down next to him. Without looking up at you, he scoots over quickly. Knitting your eyebrows together, you stare at him.

"I-Im sorry," you laugh. "do I smell or something?" Dan shakes his head. Continuing to avoid eye contact with you, he wipes his nose and sniffles loudly.

"Dan...are you okay? please talk to me. If there's something wrong I would like to help you-"

"I was thinking about you last night. I already know that you're just talking to me because you feel bad for me..." he says while looking down.

"Dan, no-" you start, but Dan cuts you off again.

"That's all anyone ever did. They would laugh and make fun of me in the halls at school and whisper behind my back, calling me a freak. But then once Gray died, it's like they latched onto me like a koala. They all immedietly started apologizing and tried to be friends with me all of a sudden," he looks up at you with a tear rolling down his cheek. "I'm not stupid, Y/N."

Swallowing hard, you look down at your hands.

"Dan I'm not like those people," you start. "I actually want to be friends with you." you finish, looking up at him.

Sniffling again, he finally looks up at you and looks into your eyes. A tear rolls down his cheek and travels down to his lips.

"You're lying." he says, another tear sliding down his cheek.

Shaking your head, you gently place your hand on his knee. Dan shakes your hand off, and you sit back slightly offended.

"Dan...i'm not lying. I don't lie...ever."
You say sternly, ignoring what just happened.

"Okay..." Dan wipes his eyes once more and looks at you with a weak smile planted on his lips. "I sorta believe you." he jokes.

You laugh a little, hitting his shoulder playfully.

Dan's small smile made you feel sort of happy on the inside. A small smile cracked on your lips as well.

There was another moment of silence between you two until Dan looked over and down at your phone between your fingers.

"U-um...can we maybe, uh..." he stutters nervously. "could we maybe exchange n-numbers?" he shrugs a little, itching the back of his neck nervously, and brushing his wet bangs out of his face.

You look up at him, and Dan suddenly becomes very tense.

"I-I mean, only of you want to, of course," he lets out a nervous laugh. "it's just so we can keep in touch and stuff, nothing too seri-"

"Chill," you laugh. "of course we can exchange numbers." you say, handing him your iphone/Samsung.

Cheeks shaded a light pink, he types his number into your phone, and hands it back to you. Smiling, you name the contact "Dan", and look up at him.

"S-sorry...what's your last name?" you ask Dan. He looks up at you

"Howell. Dan Howell." he looks down at your phone. You nod, and type in his last name.