Chapter 2

"Daddy! Daddy! Will you tell me a story?"

"Sure Leah, come on. Let's get you into bed."

"Don't forget to tuck me in really tight!"

"Okay, okay." he said, tucking her in. "Is that cozy enough?"

"Perfect!" she said.

"Alright, where to start?"

"It goes, Once upon a time in a house next to the woods", she said.

"Of course! Okay, Once upon a time in a cottage next to the woods lived a little family, Hansel and Gretel and their Dad who was a lumber jack. One day the three of them ventured out into the woods to chop down some trees to take into the market to sell. While they were out there Hansel and Gretel started playing a little game of hide and seek while their father was chopping trees and splitting logs. After a while the kids grew tired and went to find where he was splitting logs when they heard a piercing scream coming from the direction of their cottage. "

"Oh no! What happens next daddy!"

"Well, alarmed, Hansel and Gretel ran up to their father and hugged him for comfort.

"What was that, Daddy?" Hansel asked.

"I don't know," their father said, "You see those shrubs over there?"

"Yeah." the kids said together.

"I want you to go over there and hide in them until I come back, don't make a peep!"

"Okay, Daddy." they said.

Their Daddy tucked them into the shrubs so that they could not be seen and said to them, "Now remember, not a peep! I will be right back. I love you!"

"I love you, Daddy" Gretel said.

"Me too" said Hansel.

Their father grabbed his axe and headed back towards the cottage as quietly as he could. Hansel and Gretel waited and waited for him to return. Eventually the sun was starting to set and the kids were getting scared. They started to hear weeping coming from behind them somewhere.

"What is that?" Hansel whispered.

"Shh!" said Gretel.

"You hear it don't you?" Hansel continued.

"Yes, I hear it. Shhhh!" said Gretel.

The weeping began to become louder and more desperate while the two kids continued to hide in the bushes. They started to hear twigs cracking under the weight of someone walking off in the distance behind them.

"They are going to find us Gretel!"

"If you keep going on like that, I am almost certain you will be right! Shh!!" said Gretel.

Hansel scooted in closer to his sister seeking comfort, "I'm really scared." Hansel whispered.

"Okay, you stay here then" whispered Gretel, "I will go check it out and draw them away, you run home and get Dad, Okay?"

"Gretel, no! You can't do that, we have to stay together." Hansel pleaded.

"I will be okay," Gretel said prying Hansel away from her so she could step out, "just hurry home and get Dad! I will be at our place!"

"Gretel!" Hansel pleaded again.

"Go!" Gretel urged as she stepped out of the bushes and started toward the weeping.

Alone, Hansel sat in the bushes, too afraid to do anything but listen. He heard his sister outside calling to the weeping person.

"Hello? Hello out there. Come out." she said as she padded away from the bushes that they were hiding in together.