17

( THE MORE YOU IGNORE ME,
THE CLOSER I GET )

ELENA'S OLD ROOM
[ ☾]

Dean is highly annoyed as he looks around Elena's dorm room there are several framed photos on the dresser and her desk of all of friends but nothing of Dean. "Well, somebody was thorough." He drinks from the bottle of Jack Daniel's and flips down the photo of Elena, Sam and Caroline. "No pictures of Dean anywhere." Dean's phone beeps and he answers it. "So you didn't forget my number. That's a good start."

Elena is walking down a street. "Yeah I figured that I'd press the Dean button on my old phone and see what happened." She says.

"And what is happening?" Dean asks.

"I don't know. I don't even know what I'm doing. I just... I'm thinking we should meet face to face." Elena says and Dean perks up. "I can't run from you forever so come by my room?"

"Yeah, yeah I'll be here... there; I'll be there, absolutely in a bit." Dean stammers. "See you in a little bit."

"Okay." She hangs up.

MOTEL
[ ☾]

Caroline shows up to the motel as Elena walks back to meet with Dean. All she wanted was to see if she really loved him. She remembered seeing him at the bar months back, but that wasn't really him. Elena stops in her tracks, her back facing Caroline.

"I want my memories back." Elena says.

"Wait. What?"

Elena turns to face her. "I made up my mind, if Dean survives this, then I want Alaric to uncompel me." She says. "I mean, I can't imagine ever loving him but I also can't ignore the parts I don't like just to avoid the truth. I mean how could I make any decisions if I only know half the story?" Caroline rubs her arm affectionately and they turn to face the door ahead of them, waiting for Dean's arrival.

BAR
[ ☾]

Sam and Dean sit at a table drinking Bourbon; Sam listens as Dean rants. "I was this close...This close." Dean says.

"I know. I'm sorry."

"Oh I got it, everybody's sorry. You're sorry you gave up on me. Ric's sorry for the compulsion. I'm sure if Elena could remember anything she'd be sorry too." He says annoyed, drinking.

"You got to understand how hard it was for her." Sam says.

"I am so tired of hearing how hard it was for her. It was hard for me as well." Dean says.

"At least you knew you had a home to come back to. She didn't have anything, to her you were just gone."

"Guess I still am. Ric said she's happy without me since she's erased me." Dean says. "You know what I don't want her to be happy. I want her to be miserable just like I am."

Sam looks unamused. "You done?" He asks.

"Yeah. I'm done."

"Good, now quit stalling there's a girl you need to go see." Sam says.

"What if it doesn't work?" Dean asks. "What if what we had isn't strong enough to break the compulsion?"

"You're not going to find out just sitting there, are you?"

Dean thinks about it for a moment, then finishing his drink. "Here's goes everything." He leaves.

MOTEL
[ ☾]

Dean walks down the hallway toward Elena's room. In Elena's room, she goes through the box of Dean's things. Pulling out her diary which holds a strip of photographs of the two of them together. She pulls it out and looks at them. Dean continues toward Elena's room as Elena pulls out his brown leather jacket. Dean reaches Elena's door and knocks.

Elena takes a deep breath, pausing for a moment as Dean waits anxiously at the door. Elena hesitantly walks toward the door, reaches for the door knob and slowly opens the door to face Dean. After months of him being gone, the two finally get a chance to see each other face to face. Their eyes meet.

Dean and Elena are staring at each other. Dean looks nervous. "Okay, I'll start." He says. "I know Alaric eternal sunshined our relationship out of your brain but please, please tell me it's coming back." He bounces on the balls of his feet, while Elena stares blankly. "Or at least part of it, because...imagining this exact moment is what got me through the last few months."

Elena stares for a moment. "I'm not sure what to say." She says.

"Easy, so easy." Dean steps forward and grabs her arms. "Just say, that you missed me as much as I missed you."

Elena looks up at him and slightly shakes her head. "I remember...pain." She moves her arms away from Dean and he looks disappointed. "I remember all the terrible things that you did to the people and me." Dean looks down, trying to find words. "I honestly don't remember anything good between us." Dean continues to look hurt. "I thought if I saw you in person it might change everything but..."

"Maybe you just need a little more time." Dean says sadly.

"Dean, I know that I loved you."

"Yeah." Dean smiles.

"But I just don't remember it. I'm sorry, I just don't...feel it anymore. I'm sorry."

"Yeah, um... I'm..." Dean slowly backs out of the dorm. "Yeah."

Elena is grabbing for the door. "Dean, I-I really am sorry." She says. Dean moves his lips multiple times but can't find the words as the door shuts in his face.

PARK
[ ☼ ]

The next day, Caroline and Elena sit on a blanket at the park. "You didn't feel anything?" Caroline asks.

"I felt scared and guilty, and his eyes were really, really green and pretty, but... no. I don't remember loving him." Elena says.

"So you don't remember. So be it." Caroline says. "Look, I like Dean, I really do, but you have to live your life."