The Simple Things: Chapter 4

This is where the story really starts :D Enjoy!!!

Chapter 4

Lessons on Life

I managed to avoid Mr. Schott for a week. Well, I still went to class, but I never stayed after if he asked. I couldn't face any more questions. It was shameful, to say the least. How could he have noticed I never smiled? He would have to pay attention to me to notice that. Nobody else ever noticed.

Maybe it was because no one else cared.

My supposed friends didn't. My mother didn't. The rest of my teachers cared the least. Then why was I pushing away Mr. Schott? He was only trying to help me get my grades back up, even though I had no desire to raise them. At least he was putting forth some effort.

I was at lunch when people started talking to me. Or more accurately, about me. I was sitting there quietly, staring at the salad I had no appetite to eat. It disgusted me to even look at it. I wanted something good, like the giant, greasy slice of pizza that the guy across from me was munching on. It looked delicious.

As I was eye raping the guys I food, I heard my name being said. I turned to them.

"Rebecca is my best friend." One girl argued.

"No, she's mine. She greeted me on my first day here," The second mocked.

"I bet you two don't even know her birthday." A third girl challenged. They noticed me watching them and girl number three piped up. "Here, let's let Rebecca chose. Who's your best friend?"

I opened my mouth and closed it quickly. My best friend? That last time I had a friend was... I didn't even remember. "None of you are," I answered with a smile, raising one brow at them. The others at the table laughed while those three blushed madly. They had been burned badly; surely I'd be scorched in return.

I stood up, picking up my tray along with me and pitching it into a nearby trash can. I headed for Mr. Schott's class. When I found out he wasn't in there, I knew exactly where to go. I walked through the halls, turned a few corners and finally made it to the spare rooms. I peeked into the class room to make sure he was there, alone. He was. In fact, he was reading a book with a little lamp set beside him.

I stepped inside and closed the door behind me gently, making a soft sound to let him know he had company. He looked up, startled. "Oh, Rebecca," He frowned. "Aren't you avoiding me?"

I ignored his question and sat right next to him. "I have a question."

"Okay."

"Why me? Why me of all people? Surely I'm not the only one who is failing your class. So why did you choose me?"

He shrugged. "Well, for starters, the other people try sometimes. They don't just stare off into space. They at least mess around, talk, or are suspended enough. But you, Rebecca, you just don't try. I've watched you before. Sorry, it sounds creepy, but there was a reason." He chuckled. "You act as if there is no joy in your life, Rebecca. You don't do anything in any class. You don't talk to people at lunch."

I shrugged. "I talk to-"

"No," He said bluntly, "you don't. I just wanted to help you, Rebecca, but you act like I've only made it worse. I figured maybe getting your grades up and graduating on time would make you feel better, but you seemed elated to learn that you were failing. Why do you want to fail so badly?" He was near the point of shouting.