SEVEN

SEVEN

November 27, Bianca's birthday. Nico hadn't gotten any sleep the previous night, and it wasn't for lack of trying. Every time he closed his eyes and began to drift off, he saw her. He woke up and felt like he physically couldn't get out of bed. He felt empty, and just wanted to forget all about today.

His clock showed that it was eight in the morning. The doorbell rang, but he let Will get it. He didn't care. There was a knock on his door, but he didn't get up or call out an answer. Hazel came in with a coffee and a slice of toast. She seated herself on the end of his bed, handing to food and drink to him.

"You need to eat something Nico."

"I'm not hungry." It was true. Even though he hadn't eaten since yesterday morning, he couldn't bring himself to eat the buttered toast. He managed a few sips of coffee. "Why are you here?" He finally asked when the silence was eating him up alive.

"I'm not leaving you alone today, I don't want you doing anything stupid." She leaned against the end of his bed, crossing her legs. "I don't expect you to have a conversation with me, but I want to tell you about my day yesterday." She began speaking, and Nico only half paid attention.

He loved how Hazel was able to just be there for him. It was nice not being expected to participate in the conversation but still being around someone. He loved how she just got it. Eventually, she finished his story and she grabbed his laptop to turn on a show, scooting beside him and crawling under a blanket for warmth. And that was how they spent the day.

At eleven that night, she left, but not without making sure Nico finished the piece of toast and drank a glass of water. His light was still on, but he didn't want to get up and turn it off. Instead, he leaned over and pulled out the drawing he had finished of Bianca, staring at her face. "Mi manchi." He whispered into his empty room.

- - - - -

Over the next week the weather had a turn for the worse. Snow was constantly falling and the temperature had dropped significantly. Both boys had returned to classes and their normal routine. Nico counted himself lucky that they hadn't had the opportunity to eat together since they got back from Will's. The less they saw of each other the better as far as he was concerned.

It was going so well until the Wednesday of the next week, when they were both home for lunch, and Nico had run out of excuses to avoid being in the same room. He had prepared lunch for both of them as usual, but when he tried to take his plate of food into his room, Will stopped him.

"Not so fast. I need to talk to you." Will pointed to a chair across from him, and Nico reluctantly went and sat down, staying silent. "Do you have a problem with me?"

"No." Nico said shortly. He pulled out his phone to reply to Reyna, before checking in with Hazel.

"Why have you been avoiding me? I know our schedules differ enough that we don't see each other a ton, but this is the first time you have stayed in the same room as me for more than thirty seconds since we got back. Did my parents say something to you?"

"Look, nothing is the matter, and I'm not mad at you. Can I go now?" Nico looked at the door anxiously. He put his phone away and huffed.

"Clearly there is a problem between us, and neither of us are leaving until we sort it out. I hate all this tension in the house, so the sooner you tell me what I did wrong, the sooner we can go back to being friends."

"You're not my friend and you have no right to keep me in my kitchen to deal with your imaginary tension. The flat is under my name, and I can kick you out whenever I see fit." Nico stood up, scraping his chair against the floor loudly. He saw the look of hurt on Will's face, but he didn't care. "I'm going to go eat lunch in my room, is that allowed?" He spat out sarcastically before leaving the room.