CHAPTER 5 (Carter)

"Don't get the wrong idea, this doesn't make you special," the man Tobias addressed as Bryn stated, glaring hotly at me as their doctor felt down my ribs, making me wince from the pain that hadn't ended since I hit the crate of weapons.

"Are you done yet?" Bryn asked, and Adalwolf shot him a look that made him pause in his steps.

"Don't rush me, boy," he snapped, and Bryn paled as the doctor turned back to me, "He has a few bruised ribs, remarkable considering the circumstances."

"It's astounding how little I care," Bryn growled, "Just hurry up, I need to interrogate him before Kiefer and Klaus return."

Adalwolf muttered something in a German dialect slightly different from what I'd heard from Tobias and Bryn, "That man has no control."

"I'm aware," Bryn stated, pacing with his arms folded, "I knew this would happen, so it's my fault. I'm supposed to keep him in line, keep him from doing stupid and dangerous things, like trying to make friends with a captured enemy, but of course nothing I do can keep him in a neat little saferoom like I want. Honestly."

"He is a smart man though," Adalwolf said, standing up and looking over at Bryn, "I'm sure he knows what he's doing."

"Funnily enough he doesn't," Bryn waved his arm towards Adalwolf like he was sending him away, "All he wants is to learn about cultures, he doesn't care that this boy could be leading the enemy right for us. He's blinded by his stupid books and it's going to get him hurt one of these days."

"Well that's what you're here for," Adalwolf said, patting Bryn's shoulder as he passed, "Have fun looking after the idiot, God knows he doesn't listen to the rest of us."

Bryn rubbed his hands over his face again as the door shut, dropping his arms to his sides when the room grew silent, his dark eyes peering at me as he came closer, "I'm going to ask you a series of questions, and you're going to answer. If you don't, believe me, you'll be very sorry."

"Ffyc chi," I said, lifting my middle finger.

Anger flashed in his eyes and he stormed up so he was right in front of me, grabbing the back of the chair I was sitting in and leaning down towards me so our faces were inches apart and I could smell the mint of his toothpaste.

"Another thing, I'm not like Tobias. Speak in your language when you want, on your own time, not when I'm interrogating you. I need an answer in English so I have something to tell my boss."

"This is my own time," I said back, narrowing my eyes, "If you don't understand me, that's your problem. Your boss said I could answer in Welsh, didn't he?"

Bryn pushed away from the chair, glowering down at me, "Tobias is a good man, but that's the problem. He's too lenient, especially towards people like you, people with individual cultures and identities," he curled his fingers in quotations to emphasize his words, "That's why he's doing his homework and I'm the one questioning you. He'd just get distracted as usual, asking about your language like it's important."

"My language is important," I seethed, "My language is my identity, it's who I am," I paused, my gaze moving to the closed door, "That man is the first person who's ever understood that."

"Like I said before," Bryn leaned closer to me again, pulling my attention back to his snarling face, "Don't get the wrong idea. This doesn't. Make. You. Special. Now shut up until I've asked my questions. Who sent you here?"

"Eich mam."

Bryn snarled and turned, walking in a half circle before glaring at me, "Don't think I'm above using violence."