Chapter 11

Previously

"You should give him a chance. Trust me, I might not seem like the guy who- who can give advice from experience but don't let him go just because he made some mistakes in the past. Just- just give him a chance" Sirius concluded, his eyes looking slightly misty.

He blinked a couple of times before smiling slightly at her.

"Let's go see what Prongs has gotten himself into this time shall we?"

James Potter  was awoken by a flurry of movement.

His head throbbed. He could feel a bandage on his forehead where the bludger had hit him during the match.

The match.

Panic gripped him. What if they had lost the match?

Their first one of the cup.

Against Slytherin.

And it would be all his fault.

Forcing his eyes to open, he impatiently waited for them to get used to the light before blinking twice and looking around.

He was in the infirmary. Of course

What he didn't expect was Lily Evans sitting in the chair next to his bed, quietly reading a novel. Squinting his eyes, he read the cover of the book. 'The Prude and the Prodigious' or something of that sort. He really was, and he quoted Sirius, 'as blind as Lupin on full-moon nights'

He shifted slightly and coughed to alert Lily that he was awake.

The reaction was instantaneous. She jumped slightly, dropping her book on his hand as she did so.

"Ow. Try not to kill me Evans."

She looked mortified. "I'm sor-" 

She stopped suddenly, scrunching her eyebrows in confusion and looking at him.

"You called me Evans." There was an undercurrent of emotions beneath that statement.

He cocked his head to the side and pushed himself into a sitting position.

"Would you prefer if I called you Lily?"

"It's not like you haven't called me Lily before."  She said, clearly indicating their 'library incident'.

He paled slightly.

Before he could reply, the doors creaked open to reveal Sirius, holding his hands on his eyes.

"You guys decent?"

He grinned, trust Sirius to assume that they were shagging in the infirmary.

Lily was a different story. She turned around and glared at him.

"As decent as you and Marlene."

James' eyes widened before cracking up.

Sirius just stood there with a dumbfounded look on his face and a slight tint of red to his cheeks.

Lily smirked at Sirius who scrunched up his nose.

"It was just a one time thing."

He took deep breaths, trying to calm himself down. No one except for the Marauders had been able to make Sirius blush until now.

Until Lily came.

The doors burst wide open and a flushed Pettigrew and Lupin ran in.

"James! Mate, you're alright!" Pettigrew exclaimed.

"So it seems Wormtail, so it seems"

Suddenly he remembered.

"What about the match? And- and my broom?" He questioned, afraid to know the answer.

Remus walked forward and knelt near his bed.

"You can't freak out okay? Take a deep breath."

He complied, fearing the worst.

"We won the match" Remus continued, looking into his eyes while Lily looked confused. "But your broom, it hit the ground."

"It's broken?" He whispered quietly, not wanting to believe what was happening.

Remus nodded once.

"It snapped in half."