Chapter 8: Nasty News.

The glass shattered on the cold floor; glass splinters everywhere.

"Emile what's wrong?" You asked timidly as he engulfed you in a worried hug.

"What on Earth's name possessed you to drink that?!" He exclaimed anxiously.

"Louis offered me a drink - I don't understand. He assured me it was perfectly safe...?" Your confusion made your answer a question as he released you from the hug.

"...What? " He gasped and you took a step back, scared.

Everyone in the bar was silent - including the little dead children - and Emile stormed towards Louis.

"Why would you tell my wife the drink was safe for her when you knew it would kill her?" He vented furiously and your eyes widened in shock.

"I did not." Louis retorted smoothly as he folded his arms.

"Are you calling my wife a liar?"

"Precisely."

"How dare you Sir Louis! You are indeed the fibber here!" Paul cried from the bar counter and Emile turned to him.

"What happened Paul?" He asked quietly.

"He came up to the bar with (Y/n) and asked for two Poison Ivy's - I was saying to him; Mr Gutknecht said that humans can't drink that, but he insisted it was fine." Paul answered in his strong French accent fiercely and everyone started talking.

"Oh the shame!"

"That poor girl."

"Ban him from the Underworld!"

"How dare you try to murder my wife." Emile growled defensively, turning to Louis once again.

"I-I was doing you a favour!" Louis responded hurriedly.

"A favour?! How is that a favour?" Emile shot back, his eyes blazing.

"You can't be married to a breather! She doesn't even like you - told me herself that the marriage was a mistake!" He shouted loudly.

"I don't care what you say. You're a liar and I can't believe I trusted you to be left alone with her." Emile replied darkly, grabbing him by the scruff of his clothing.

"It's alright Emile, we got this." Two of the burlier zombies came towards the argument.

"Don't come near my precious (Y/n) again." Emile warned furiously, letting go of Louis.

"Don't worry...when we're through with him, he won't be going anywhere." One of the zombies flashed an evil smile as both of them dragged Louis away.

"Let go of me you imbeciles!" Louis snarled selfishly and his yells subsided the further away he got from the bar.

"What...just happened?" You asked faintly as Emile shut his eyes for a minute; thinking deeply.

"Are you alright (Y/n)?" He asked concernedly, walking towards you and you gave a shy nod.

"What is Poison Ivy anyway?" You questioned curiously and he gave a shaky chuckle.

"It's poison squeezed from dead poisonous ivy leaves. It's got a nice taste, for the dead. I'm afraid you can't drink it though." Emile explained uneasily.

"Is there anything I can drink? My throat is parched." You confessed shyly and he thought for a minute.

"We have normal red wine. And fresh water...surprisingly." He informed dryly.

"Could I have some water please?" You inquired politely.

"Let ol' Hilda bring you some - must be in shock, poor thing." One of the zombie cooks replied kindly, going into the kitchen.

"Shock?" You repeated blankly; not understanding.

"Dearest, someone just tried to murder you. Doesn't that bother you?" Emile remarked anxiously, his face full of worry.

"A little, but you came to my aid and I'm most thankful." You told him gratefully and he smiled.

"I'll always protect you (Y/n)." He promised loyally as Hilda brought you a glass of water.

"Thank you." You thanked him pleasantly and gave a thankful smile to Hilda.

"New arrival! New arrival!" A middle-aged zombie called excitedly.

Pandemonium broke out, with more dead people scurrying in and getting prepared.

An old woman appeared in the bar as a zombie and everyone clapped.

"Welcome to the underworld!" They chorused happily and she sighed uncaringly.

"Thank you, thank you." She muttered bored.

"(Y/n)?! What are you doing here?" The woman asked rudely as you stood up.

"I'm sorry, I don't know who you are. How do you know my name?" You inquired lightly and she readjusted her glasses.

"My name is Florence Greywood, I'm Finnick's grandmother. I was invited to your wedding, but when I got there my daughter informed me that you ran off somewhere yesterday." She said coolly.

"Pleasure to meet you." You replied pleasantly and she gave a bored groan.

"I wish I could say the same. Shame you're missing the wedding this evening." Florence remarked flatly.

"The wedding this evening? But-But I'm not there! They cannot start the wedding without me." You stammered confused and she gave another annoyed sigh.

"Finnick's not getting married to you anymore, silly child. He is now getting married to Lady Genevieve." She smiled nastily as you froze.

"L-Lady Genevieve?" You said faintly - now in shock.

"Yes, have you gone deaf? Honestly." She sighed irritably and started walking away.

"Lady Genevieve? She sounds so familiar." Emile appeared at your side thoughtfully.

"She does?" You asked curiously and his eyes widened.

"It's her." He mumbled in horror and you touched his arm.

"Who?" You questioned confused.

"Genevieve. She's the one who...who killed me." Emile replied sadly, gazing at the floor with misery.

"She killed you?!" You exclaimed aghast as you thought back to the song they sung when you arrived.

--There in the shadows, was it his girl?

And then?
His little heart beat so loud
And then?
And then baby, everything went black

Now when he opened his eyes he was dead as dust
His jewels were missing and his heart was bust--

"She lied to you, took your fortune and then left you for dead." You deciphered the song lyrics in surprise and he nodded gravely.

"Finnick's in danger." You realised fearfully.

"Who cares about him?" Emile muttered moodily as you freaked out.

"It doesn't matter if I care about him or not! Are you willing to say that you let this Genevieve lady kill another?" You remarked aghast.

"You're right. Come on, let's go." He admitted with a sigh as he took your hand and you both rushed out of the bar.