Chapter Fourteen

“Keep looking, keep looking- What could Fred mean?” James sighed angrily as he tossed the letter from Lily and Fred onto his bed in Gryffindor Tower. Alex shook his head. 

“I don’t know. Did he say anything before he left about looking for something?” Alex asked.

“No! That’s the problem. He’s telling me to keep looking for something, and I don’t even know what I’m looking for!” James said, sitting down on his bed, facing Alex. 

“Would anyone else know?” Alex continued. “I mean, would Roxanne know anything?”

“Doubt it,” James replied. Roxanne and Fred were very close, but even she didn’t know what her brother was up to. No one in James’s family knew where Fred was, or what he was doing. Well, James thought, maybe his parents, aunts, and uncles knew, but not him.

He and Alex left their dormitory and walked down to the common room, and began a game of wizard’s chess. It was during lunch, so James and Alex had nothing else to do. They found Lyra sitting in a chair by the fireplace, reading a book. James gasped when he saw the author of the book.

“Lyra,” James stammered. “Who wrote that book?” He wanted to make sure that what he was seeing was real.

“Oh,” Lyra sighed. “Someone names F.A.E. I just borrowed this from the library, and there’s no information about the author in the book.”

James stared at the book. 

“Something wrong?” Lyra continued, closing her book. 

“Nothing,” James shrugged, but Alex groaned.

“Listen, mate,” Alex sighed. “We know when you’re not telling us something. Spill it.”

“Fine. Two years ago, when you were kidnapped, I was in the Room of Requirement, and, well- I found this letter from F.A.E addressed to me-” James began, but Alex scoffed.

“Why didn’t you tell us?” Lyra asked.

“Because…I-I didn’t want to make things more confusing!” James stammered. “Alex and Molly were missing, I was trying to help- this stupid letter didn’t really help me with anything at all, I kept it just in case!”

“You still have it, then?” Alex continued. James nodded, and without saying a word, he went to his dormitory and retrieved the letter. He handed it to Alex, who let Lyra read over his shoulder. When Alex and Lyra had both finished reading, Alex handed the letter back to James.

“That makes no sense, mate,” Alex sighed. “You saved all of us- me, Molly, the other kids- I just don’t get it.”

“I know,” Lyra continued. “But it’s not like we can find F.A.E for help; like they said, they’ll probably be dead by the time you read it, James, and that was two years ago.”

James nodded, and folded the letter up, placing it in his pocket.

“We could go to the library,” Alex offered. “Maybe there’s something there about who F.A.E is.”

“There won’t be,” James guessed, picking up Lyra’s book. “If there isn’t anything in a book that F.A.E wrote, there won’t be anything else.”

Alex and Lyra sighed in agreement. 

“Might as well try, then?” Alex said, standing up. He glanced at Lyra, who got up as well. 

“Come on, James,” Lyra smiled faintly, grabbing James by the arm and practically dragging him to the library with her and Alex. 

“Listen, I’ll go over there and look where I found this book- you two, start searching for F.A.E,” Lyra instructed, before casually walking over the a few shelves in the front of the library. Alex and James sighed simultaneously, but they walked by every shelf in the library, searching for F.A.E. They were unlucky.