Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Bette's Bidding

"So no need to hide," she continued.  "It's a done deal.  You're in!  Mazel tov!"  

She clapped her newly manicured hands together before turning to Dina for what was probably her third cup of coffee for the day.  Which, as always, she ordered black.  Anything else, as she put it, would ruin her figure.  After her second marriage failed, Bette decided she wanted to make sure her third husband knew exactly what he'd lose if he walked out on her too.  So she wore tight, form-fitting jumpsuits in dark, flattering colors all year round, which perfectly accentuated her curvy figure.  Not that she didn't find ways to add her trademark flamboyancy to a rather one note wardrobe.  Today she decided to celebrate the season with an oversized turkey cardigan that slouched off her spandex clad shoulders.  It matched well with her cranberry red heels and long, dangling feather earrings.

"You can't force me to do anything against my will."  Yes she could, but I wouldn't give her the joy of seeing me roll over upon order.

"Oh darling, I love your drama.  You'll be in it for the long haul for sure.  They love that bitterness and ferocity on these shows."

"They do," piped in Ellie, who always wore a look of marvel and admiration whenever Bette was in the room.  "But, if you end up being too contentious, you get booted.  The audience likes to see the villain get their rewards so they never make it to the end.  Not...not that you're a villain.  I was just..."  She trailed off and a pleading, regretful look dampened her large brown eyes.

"Don't like the drama queens, huh?" I mused, turning my gaze over to Bette.  

She, however, simply took a swig of her coffee before pulling out her phone to scroll through something.  It might have been her calendar or whatever social network was the flavor of the week for her, but it didn't matter.  I knew what she was doing.  This was traditional protocol whenever she thought I was throwing a tantrum.  Which I freely admit I was doing.  But I'm an adult, dammit, and she was going to listen to me.

"I said," I started again, a bit louder this time, "they don't like drama queens.  Maybe I shall see to it that I cause so much trouble that before they can even start the show, they'll want me off."

"You'd still have to be on the show in order to be solidified as a villain.  Then they vote you off," answered Ellie with a rather academic straight forwardness to her.  "If you aren't on to be a villain then there, of course, wouldn't be a payoff for the audience."

"Ellie," I mumbled, looking over at my friend with newfound appreciation, "I feel like there's some sort of reservoir of knowledge you're holding that I was unaware of and as your best friend, this bothers me."

"You have no idea," said Dina with a snort.

"Anyway, that's all there is to it," continued Bette as she slid her phone back into a handbag bejeweled with crystal acorns.  "Now, if you wouldn't mind, I need you to make sure all our vendors are in order with their permits and tax licenses for next week.  Or..."  She paused so I could fully appreciate the curve of her smile.  "You could review the requests from the production team on what they need for the filming this Thursday."

"I'll be at the office in five minutes to review the vendors," I said with a growl that in no way hid the fact that for now I had been defeated.  As much as her methods annoyed me, Bette was my boss and I very much wanted to keep my job.

"Fabulous!"  She bounced with victory and then headed for the door.  However, she stopped just short and turned back towards me, though it wasn't me she directed her next words to.  "Oh and Ellie.  You know the underdog is also very popular.  Just be you, love, and you'll be a shoe in."  She gave Ellie a wink and then headed out the door to go wreak her mayhem on some other unsuspecting victim.

"That woman..." I started.

"Is doing wonders for our town and you love her."  Dina smiled at me from over the bar, but I just shrugged her assertion away before turning to Ellie.

"You seem to know a lot about how these shows run," I said, giving her a sly smile.  "You know, you never seem to want to do anything on Wednesday nights.  Isn't that when they run that one show?  What's it called again?  Love Trial?"

"I have to go get ready for the puppet show," said Ellie, popping up from her chair as a rush of red bloomed along her cheeks.  She then turned for the book stacks, but I grabbed her hand before she got too far.

"Hey Ellie, I'm proud of you for putting yourself out there like this.  I never would have imagined you'd actually audition for a show.  A reality show no less.  If you want, I'll go with you to the audition and cheer you on."

"Really?"  She bit her lip and cast a doubting sideways glance.  "You seem to really hate the idea."

"I..."  I deliberated over my words.  I didn't even completely know how I felt about Ellie doing this, but I knew, no matter what, I wanted to see her happy.  "I may not support the show and the media circus it's bringing with it, but I support you Ellie.  I can do both, right?"

She gave a nod, before stretching her arms out for a hug.

"Hey, none of that!" shouted Dina.  "You'll smudge your makeup."

Ellie sighed and rolled her eyes, before heading back to where she kept the children's section and the puppet theater.

"That's nice that you'll still support Ellie," said Dina, after her sister had disappeared.  "Would have been even nicer had you not also planned to go so you can try to thwart Bette.  Can't blame you, but I'm not giving you credit for a completely selfless act."

"Hey," I snapped, "I am not going to bring down this show.  It's done, it's happening, and all I can do is hope it doesn't ruin the cozy charm I've worked so hard to maintain around here.  So I'm completely on Team Ellie.  However, that does not mean I have to be directly involved with this nonsense.  Maybe they like drama, but I'll show whatever sorry producer has to audition me that I'm not worth the headache."

"Yeah, that will work great," said Dina with a poorly concealed smirk as I headed for the door.

"Damn straight."  Then, I left the shop and marched back to the office to go do Bette's bidding.