Reconcile {2}

Chapter 2 - Riko

I laid in my bed, exhausted and bleary eyed. I hated sleeping, so I'd taken to short naps throughout the night so I wouldn't collapse of exhaustion. My body hated it but my mind was grateful. When I slept, I always had nightmares. I'd woken up more than once in the grips of a panic attack.

I could hear movement in the house. Nia was probably already up and about getting ready for school, my dad was no doubt getting ready for work, and my mom was probably in the middle of preparing lunches for me and Nia. Seren went to the community college not far from where we lived, and her classes didn't start for a few more hours, so the lucky bitch was probably still asleep.

My phone buzzed on my dresser, just a quick vibrating sound, meaning it wasn't a text. I reached over and picked it up, checking the screen and seeing I had a new Kik message.

I unlocked my phone and accepted the message. Well, well, well, palm tree really had messaged me. And his username didn't really surprise me all that much.

Nyoomnyoom: Morning squirrel

i.like.your.dog.better: Morning palm tree

I sat up and rubbed my eyes, shivering at how chilly my room was. I left a fan running continuously in my room because I hated when my room got even a little warm.

I checked the time and laid back down, rolling over and burrowing under my blanket. I still had a while before I had to get up and get ready. Nia always got up almost an hour before me so she had time to shower and do her hair.

After about 40 minutes, my phone buzzed again and I unlocked it, deciding to just keep my Kik open while I got ready. It was time for me to get up anyways, so I forced myself to sit up. I grabbed a shirt as I glanced at the message.

Nyoomnyoom: I have returned from my morning run

Oh gross he was one of those people who enjoyed physical activity. I couldn't remember the last time I'd gone for a run. Even in gym classes, I half assed it.

Me: Wtf I'm still in bed you overachiever

Nyoomnyoom: Im gonna go to the Olympics dude I gotta achieve over

I snickered a little. Hey, at least he had a sense of humor.

Me: Lmao I'm gonna stay in bed

Nyoomnyoom: And drink coffee?

Wow, he knew me so well already. Good for him.

Me: My moms already brewing my morning cup for me I'm sure

Nyoomnyoom: Ew. I don't like coffee

I had to read the message twice just to make sure I wasn't imagining it. Well, this was a short lived online friendship.

Me: The fuck did you just say to me

Nyoomnyoom: Caffeine makes me sick

Me: It makes me SICK like bitch imma go kick flip into class

Well, no, actually, it left me anxious and with way too much energy. But it also helped me stay awake, which was all I really cared about. The thought of sleeping and having those nightmares again terrified me.