vi. letter

vi. letter - 12/23

For my eighteenth birthday in October, you sent me a letter. You also sent me a bag of your special chocolate chip cookies (which, by the way, I ate within an hour), but the letter meant the most to me.

Your handwriting is messy but you penned it out anyway, a whole three and a half pages about nothing in particular but everything that mattered, and it didn’t get repetitive the way some letters do, and I’ve never told you this but whenever I read the words you wrote, it feels like you’re actually here.

Right now, the pages of the letter are spread out on my bed beside me, and I’m glancing at them in between writing in my journal, which just so happens to be the same journal that you gave me for Christmas last year. Christmas is in two days, and I’m reading your letter again and again because I wish you were here.

Do you know what I find strange? The fact that we’ve only known each other for a little bit over a year. I’ve known some of my friends back in Florida for my entire life, and I don’t wish any of them were here. Not that I don’t want to see them, of course; it’s just that I don’t want to see them as much as I want to see you. That must say something about you, or maybe about me. Or maybe about both of us, and the way that our two lights managed to collide.

Valentina’s off at another party, so it’s quiet here. I just tried to call you. You didn’t pick up. It’s only six PM over there; I’m always forgetting the time difference. You’re probably out with friends, maybe at dinner with your aunt and uncle. For all I know, you could be at my old house; you and my brothers have become best friends. Anyway, you don’t have your phone with you.

I don’t really know what I’m saying anymore, and I think I’m just writing for the sake of hearing the sound of pen against paper, because it really is a lovely sound, you know. I wonder if you learned that when you wrote me this letter. Like I said, the letter makes it feel like you’re here. But you’re not; you’re all the way across the country. Which is really too bad, because I still haven’t gotten a new pair of mittens. If you were here I wouldn’t need them, because I could just hold your hand.

------

dedicated to shany because she's pretty darn cool and she left five comments on the last chapter which was cute. photo on the side because it's sam and elle.